PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp advice

Ikshvaku
07-14-2010, 03:48 AM
Hi, I have a set up with a few gourami, some mollies, and a King Tiger Pleco, to which I'll be adding some tetras and possible one angelfish. I have no live plants except for a bit of duckweed that's not doing so well. I currently have a single ghost shrimp living in it (I bought as an experiment to see if they'd eat him, they didn't, but he is about half an inch)

So I was wanting some advice on what kind of shrimp I can get in this set up. The two kinds I'm thinking of are algae eating shrimp and Flower Shrimp, though I've heard the Flowers need live plants. How true is that?

SkipW
07-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Live plants will definitely work with shrimp. They can provide shelter as well as something to eat algae from. But I'm not sure your gourami's will leave the shrimp alone for very long. And I would think an angelfish might do the same. I have amano shrimp in with mollies and they get along quite well.

Ikshvaku
07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
No, what I was saying is that I am NOT planning on getting live plants and I was asking if that would be an issue. And like I said, the Gourami lives my little ghost shrimp alone, so I'm not worried about that. My main concern is if not having plants is a problem.

SkipW
07-14-2010, 08:18 PM
I think live plants would be beneficial, but not a necessity.