PDA

View Full Version : Very aggressive german blue ram

Aeonflame
07-14-2010, 01:34 AM
I had 2 blue rams in my community tank, both of which were quite peaceful and never interfered with any of the other fish. A couple days ago, I added a 3rd ram to the tank. I came home today to find my betta dead and the tails of my serpae tetras badly bitten. The ram was chasing them relentlessly as well as any other fish it saw. The tank is well planted with many hiding places. I moved it to a 10 gallon quarantine tank that is always cycled and running.

Is it common for them to be this aggressive?

sheamurai
07-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Sorry, I've no experience long term with Rams, but thats CRAZY that he did so much damage in so little time!

Will you be returning it to the store?

what happened to the dobie part of your sig? I love dobes too so I always liked that part if it :)

Aeonflame
07-14-2010, 01:45 AM
If I can keep him by himself in the 10, I'll convert it into a planted tank. The dobie part of my sig is still there. lol.. you just have to wait for it.

gabbyguppy
07-14-2010, 01:48 AM
I think the Ram is a peaceful Cichlid. Because they are Cichlids there is always a chance for aggression.

I had a mated pair. They lived in peace for over a year. One day the male decided the female had to go and he killed her.

Karen

Lab_Rat
07-14-2010, 01:50 AM
They are cichlids, they can be that aggressive. Not to mention, generally bettas (other than plakat) are not a good idea to mix with cichlids since bettas are slow moving fish with long fins. Did you add a male to a tank with 2 females? If so, he may have been in overdrive, trying to impress them. If you added a male to a m/f pair there may have been territorial aggression which may have been taken out on other fish.

rich311k
07-14-2010, 01:54 AM
They are cichlids so they get territorial.Hhe does sound like an aggresive one though, I dont see why it could not happen.