PDA

View Full Version : Pond Fish at top of pond breathing

billcaroljacob
07-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Why are my goldfish coming to the top of the pond and sticking their heads out as if they are trying to get air?

Sasquatch
07-14-2010, 12:47 AM
They're either hungry or lacking oxygen.

How often do you feed them? How much?

What's the temperature? How long have they been in the pond? Do you aerate (waterfall or surface agitation)?

HeatherB
07-14-2010, 12:48 AM
I am not sure where you are located, but goldfish are coolwater fish. There is less oxygen in warm water. So, if your pond is like mine, it is very warm right now, and has less oxygen than in say, spring or fall.

You could perhaps run an airstone- but it would have to be pretty big/powerful for that to make much difference.

Do you have a waterfall or a fountain? Surface agitation helps the oxygen exhange at the surface.

If it is direct sun, covering it may help-providing a bit of shade so the water doesn't get so warm.

billcaroljacob
07-14-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks - I live in Eastern PA and last week it was over 100 degrees for several days.

Scrup
07-14-2010, 02:21 AM
You could try draining some of the water and refilling it with cool water from the hose, if thats an option....

Don't forget the dechlor and don't do too much at once, don't wanna send em into shock.

HeatherB
07-14-2010, 02:55 AM
We had a couple days like that here, I took the hose, put it on a shower setting and let some run into the pond. I added some dechlor. My situation may be unique, because my tap water contains very low chlorine and chloramines. So, i find if I run the water thru the shower setting most of it evaporates and I need very little, if any, dechlorinator. I still add anyways most times just in case.

You could maybe try some frozen water packs- like frozen filled waterbottles, but you may need several hundred to make much of a difference!

smaug
07-14-2010, 03:07 AM
The heat will not affect a properly set up pond.It needs proper water movement and shade.Your pond is experiancing a lack of aeration.How big is it,what size pump is running ,what filtration and how many fish?