PDA

View Full Version : Fin Regeneration: how fast?

Michael Milligan
07-13-2010, 09:19 PM
The title says it. :(

I have a betta that has had its fins nipped back and I'm wondering if they will grow back or if the fish will bearer scars?

This betta is now in a new, larger Community Tank.

Thnx

Northernguy
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
As long as there are no other fish that will nip at his fins they should grow back completely.The best cure is pristine water.Bump your w/c's up to a few a week and they will heal fast.

Pleco380
07-13-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree. If the fish's fins don't get nipped anymore but you do nothing at all to help them, they'll probably grow back but much slower.

SMB
07-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Our betta Bunting was in a similar situation (not from nipping since he's the only one in the tank) and we've noticed maybe 2mm of new growth just in a week of Bettafix and being super-uptight about water quality. : ) I had not known to expect that fast growth!

Pleco380
07-13-2010, 10:49 PM
Bettafix works great.

rich311k
07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Keep your water nice and clean, change it every couple of days and it should grow back nicely. Nothing like clean water.

Sarkazmo
07-14-2010, 12:33 AM
I agree with NG and Rich.

They'll grow back fast. I keep a lot of Betta, fifteen currently. The fins will grow back and won't bear any scars. The fins may not grow back EXACTLY as before (this is apparent in Crown Tail Betta primarily) but they'll grow back in fully.

The ONLY way to keep a Betta without it's fins getting torn and such is a plain tank with nothing but water and fish.

As far as an amount of time it'll take? That's really impossible to say. It shouldn't take more than two months though. Some heal faster than others just like people.

Sark