PDA

View Full Version : Its getting to be a jungle.

Trillianne
07-13-2010, 06:27 PM
I've been doing my best to be a good planted tank keeper. It has had its frustrating days and a long wait on diatoms/some algae but the actual plant growth has gone extremely well!

Here's the tank back in May:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/997/tankmay.jpg

Here's this morning (water discolored by ferts from yesterday):
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/997/julyjungle.jpg

So its starting to turn into a jungle of plants and I'm wondering if there are any secrets or tips on how to separate the crypt clumps into more individual plants when I'm ready to thin out the jungle.

rich311k
07-13-2010, 06:32 PM
It looks nice, excellent growth. I would highly recommend a black background for it.

Crypts will send out runners, and you can carefully break the clump as long as you leave roots and leaves on the pieces. Do not be surprised if all the leaves melt off some of the pieces, do not be alarmed they should grow back.

Trillianne
07-13-2010, 07:15 PM
I had one of the offshoots (a 2 leaf baby)with the last crypt I put in.. I planted it separately and now its about 6-8 leaves strong. But it seems like most of the offshoots are very tight to the mother plant. Is it better to separate them when they are small (couple leaves) rather than trying to do so when they are big?

rich311k
07-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Bigger they are the more likely they are to survive. I usually just let mine grow in to monster size clumps.

EmmanuelJB
07-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Wow, your tank looks great!!

After seeing all of the planted tanks on here, I get to liking them more and more!!

Rue
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Nice!thumbs2:

born2blove
07-14-2010, 03:35 AM
I would like to turn my Fish Tank into the jungle too, but I don't know which plant I put in and which plant easy and low light.

I will need you guy help me.

AdrienDeLaChicago
07-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Your tank is coming along beautifully.

Can you tell us what you are providing your plants with so we can learn from you?

Such as light wattage, fertilizers (brand and dosing), how long you leave your lights on?

That is really fast growth for 2.5 months.

Awesome job!

Trillianne
07-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Thank you for the compliments. Oddly this is one area I felt I was struggling with the most.

Since there was a question on what I was doing... here are the specifics.

The light is just an 18 watt 5500k lightbulb aided with a bit of natural light that is in that area of the house.

I use Seachem Flourish about 1/3 to 1/2 a capful of my 34oz bottle every other week. With about the same amount of seachem iron fert (I discovered this was needed when I had some very pale/yellow sword shoots.)

I set up a DIY CO2 using a 2L soda bottle with directions here. (And I shake the bottle up every 2 weeks or so which will make the airstone that is my diffuser really fizz up with bubbles. I am still on the original bottle.)

Plants are:
- Echinodorus bleheri x2 [The one on the left was added later](A type of Amazon sword)

- Pygmy Chain Sword - This is one of the grassy foreground plants. It grows in smallish clumps with a runner that will make a new clump. I've been quite pleased with this little plant.

- Dwarf Hairgrass - This is a second grassy foreground plant. I liked it better in the gravel substrate than I do the sand. It has shorter roots and I find gets dug up a little bit more and I find one strand of grass dug up now and again.

- Cryptocoryne Lutea x2 - This is an awesome plant! It has pinky red stems with more slender long leaves. One of these is the front left corner plant in the bottom picture.

- Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica x2 - This one has more reddish bronze leaves that are broader than the lutea. You can see it in the center front of the bottom picture. The leaf texture is more soft in nature.

- Cryptocoryne pontiderifolia x1 - Added later to the tank. This one looks alot like lutea but has wavey edges on its leaves. I think this is my most prolific grower! Bought from petco under "cryptocoryne assorted" In the bottom picture this is the right foreground corner plant.

- Anubias Nana - This came planted on a piece of driftwood. Its started to grow some really long roots down the side lately.

- I started with an amazon sword (back left of the May photo) it grew prolifically but came in weak and pale. So its been moved to a small tank to see if I can get the balance right! I lost a number of its leaves to trying to clean off some algae :help:

I spent quite a bit of time cleaning algae off my plants for a few weeks. However, my pleco is settling in and is now doing his part to keep the plants and tank much cleaner. I have one pond snail that after living through the substrate change and not seeing any others I've decided to let hang out and help out. With my crypts every time I moved them I had a few melty leaves. (I know I shouldn't move them around as much as I have but..... I wasn't happy until recently with the caves and driftwood before.) I clipped those off with my weekly water changes.