PDA

View Full Version : Angel compatibility

Excellence
07-13-2010, 11:48 AM
In my research for a larger tank, what sort of tetras are good with angels?

I've had in the past half a dozen cardinal tetras, each of which got sucked against the filter intake over a few days. Same with the next half dozen. Wonderful waste of money, so I'm not getting them again.

I would be buying 5 or 6 of them to school, small size, and not sure the tank size but don't want tetras that would nip at the angels. What do you suggest? Not getting tank any time soon but exploring options.

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Tetra's only get sucked into the filter if they are dead already and floating in the tank. I would stay away from "lunch" fish for angel tanks. Get some tetra's that are larger, like lemon tetra or another species. Little ones are just a tempation. I would watch my angel chase a neon and bite it enough to kill it but not even eat it.

mommy1
07-13-2010, 12:19 PM
i have a school of black phantom tetras and a school of columbian tetras with my angels. these two types of tetras are too large for the angels to consider as food. the angels will chase them around a bit when they spawn, but the the tetras are fast enough to stay out of biting range.

rich311k
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Lemons, rummy noses, bleeding hearts, serpaes, many choices.

Excellence
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Dang, can't edit above...

Penguin Tetra? Meteor minnows or white cloud?

blesser13
07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Its possible to buy a protection for that, mine is a kind of sponge that fit in the filtrer intake, im using a aquaclear 70 for a 15 gallon and fish never stuck there and the filtrer work maximum. It cost around 5$ ^^ .

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Excellence, no matter what tetra you add to your tank with those angels, they need room to swim and can not be crowded. Adding any at all will depend on your tank size.

Sharkman
07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Its possible to buy a protection for that, mine is a kind of sponge that fit in the filtrer intake, im using a aquaclear 70 for a 15 gallon and fish never stuck there and the filtrer work maximum. It cost around 5$ ^^ .

Holy crap!? An AC70 for a 15 gallon tank? Now THAT is filtration.

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Gulp! I missed that one! Fish must feel they are swimming thru Niagara Falls.

SpyderSpy6
07-13-2010, 03:09 PM
The only tetra I would stay away from are neons, rummy nose, and cardinals. My buddy tried these with angels and they slowly nipped them until there were none left

~Col~
07-13-2010, 11:22 PM
I've got serpae's in with my 3 angels. One died recently after being attacked, but I think it was his fellow serpae's that did it, perhaps because there was something wrong with him.

Anyway, my angels haven't worried about the serpae's at all. They are all in a 4 ft tank though so plenty of room for the moment.

Excellence
07-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Are harlequins and rainbows ok with a couple of angels? They're mid-sized fish, so the tank would have to be big enough to support all. Not big on the latter; nie as they look, they have small throats for eating.

I was put off tetras after last year because they swim with jerky movements. That's why I tried angels and that rascal gourami because they're graceful in movement.:l19:

rich311k
07-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I keep Axelrod and Boesman rainbow fish with angels in a 75 gallon, they do fine together.

AlabamaFish
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I have 4 angels in my 75. And they only bother fish that are small enough for them to eat. They are way too busy trying to impress each other.

Taurus
07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
I have adult Pristilla Tetra in with mine