PDA

View Full Version : Clarius Batrachus

promise
07-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Im not sure if it is a Catfish but i remember having one of the little guys in England when i first started into the hobby, i housed him with a Shovel-nose tiger and an upside down siamese in a 35 gallon, when i first got her the salesman at the pet store told me she was a great addition to any aquarium, was super gentle would get along with everything until one day i found my pink kissing gourami hanging out of his mouth and my tetras going missing 1 by 1 every day so i got into catfish and these were the last fish i had in the uk before i moved to canada

anyways im reminiscing,
are these fish up for sale in canada as i cannot see anywhere with google if they are a banned species or not
Thanks in advance

Crispy
07-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Calrius cats are easily available in Canada. My LFS frequently carries them. Commonly called 'walking catfish'.... I'm in southern ont. I especially love the albinos.

Sasquatch
07-13-2010, 12:53 PM
They should be available in your region, but it's not the most common fish and since they get quite large (18-24") it's usually only the bigger/more specialized stores that carry them.

I'm sure that cocoa will be along soon to tell you where to find one ...

promise
07-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Calrius cats are easily available in Canada. My LFS frequently carries them. Commonly called 'walking catfish'.... I'm in southern ont. I especially love the albinos.

Awesome fish the one i had was so playful and friendly even to the point of letting me pet it, anyways i spoke to my LFS and they are going to see what they can find, if they can i may think about putting it in with my convicts

cocoa_pleco
07-26-2010, 04:45 AM
late to chime in but im never on here anymore lol

try Big Als, if they dont have any in stock they can order it in. AquaGiant would probably have one as well

promise
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
late to chime in but im never on here anymore lol

try Big Als, if they dont have any in stock they can order it in. AquaGiant would probably have one as well

i went to al's yesterday and they have a tank full of them, its like somebody read my mind cos they have about 50-60 babies in a tank, if only my tanks were ready, they will have them for a while im sure so, gotta get a move on with my tank setup
thanks for the heads up though.

VoidParadigm
07-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Good luck with getting a hold of one once everything's set-up!
The babies aren't too common here on the East Coast, but we've got a pet-store with a large display tank of adults. Pretty neat Cats to watch.

promise
07-28-2010, 02:21 AM
in a few days i shall have a 30 gallon all empty and alone, wonder what the wife will say hahahaha

skullduggery1
01-05-2011, 12:01 AM
I had a piebald clarius that I donated to the Toledo zoo,unfortunately,they had to get a permit to keep it.Which in turn a "special Officer" had to interogate me about where I had purchased it.All clarius species are illegal in the states.Since I had been unaware of the status of the species due to a lot of stores carrying this species,there was no fine.:hmm3grin2orange:

johndoe222
01-05-2011, 12:37 AM
I had a piebald clarius that I donated to the Toledo zoo,unfortunately,they had to get a permit to keep it.Which in turn a "special Officer" had to interogate me about where I had purchased it.All clarius species are illegal in the states.Since I had been unaware of the status of the species due to a lot of stores carrying this species,there was no fine.:hmm3grin2orange:

Clarius arn't illegal in canada. I'm not to sure why there illegal in the states either.

Trillianne
01-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Clarius arn't illegal in canada. I'm not to sure why there illegal in the states either.

I would say check the status in your particular area. I found a site that did show illegal in BC, and some states but not all states. I am not linking since it didn't do a very good job of citing sources.

johndoe222
01-05-2011, 01:41 AM
I would say check the status in your particular area. I found a site that did show illegal in BC, and some states but not all states. I am not linking since it didn't do a very good job of citing sources.

There illegal in Arkansas. And I say if there illegal here in the state of marryin your sister than there illegal everywhere. :hmm3grin2orange:

Crispy
01-05-2011, 01:45 AM
clarius catfish are illegal in the US because they are the 'walking catfish'; said to be able to walk from one body of water to another. even though this is a bit exaggerated, it's enough to ban them considering all the invasive species they already have to deal with.

johndoe222
01-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Thanks Crispy!

skullduggery1
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
Two of these pics are of the clarius in my tanks.and the last is of it in it's new home at the Toledo zoo. I can see it anytime I like,Which is quite often.