PDA

View Full Version : Bumpy goldfish

Brhino
07-12-2010, 11:49 PM
So much for fishkeeping being relaxing! I'm always finding some slight change in appearance or behavior in one of our fish to worry about.

One of our veiltail goldfish has two bumps:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/bumps.jpg
We noticed one yesterday and I saw one more today, although they're subtle enough that they may have been there for a while without getting noticed. They're not very big, and there's no associated discoloration or scale irregularities. Behavior seems to be normal. He eats a ton - I wonder if it could be related to overeating. Yesterday I gave the goldfish tank more brine shrimp than I had intended. Any ideas?

Xavier
07-13-2010, 01:15 AM
Any change at all in behaviour?

Brhino
07-13-2010, 01:44 AM
I've noticed that he's hanging out at the top of the tank. He's capable of swimming downward when he wants to (he does all kinds of flips and tricks to try and get us to feed him), but when he's resting he's always at the top. No air gasping or anything.

He pooped slightly after dinner tonight. It was a pretty small poop in both length and diameter. Color was normal.

My gut instinct tells me constipation and/or bloating from overfeeding/too many brine shrimp. Unless someone tells me otherwise I'm going to skip feeding for two days and then feed some peas.

Scrup
07-13-2010, 09:05 PM
I would feed some peas now honestly.

Of course I wouldn't be feeding goldfish brine shrimp to begin with...:ssmile:

Fruit and veggies make good treats without the risk of stopping them up.thumbs2:

Brhino
07-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Of course I wouldn't be feeding goldfish brine shrimp to begin with...:ssmile:

no? You avoid animal matter altogether? I give them some bloodworms once a week too, what do you think about that?

Xavier
07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Scrup, remind me to never go to your place for pizza :hmm3grin2orange:

Brhino
07-13-2010, 11:36 PM
skipped breakfast, fed peas for dinner. How much should I be giving them? They're about 3.5" each except for the smallest one, and they got MAYBE half a pea each. The lumpy fish pooped within 15 minutes, pretty normal looking if not a little long. None of the other fish did, which I think lends support to the idea that this one may have stomach issues of some sort. Will post updated observations, please continue to provide diagnosis/general advice.

Scrup
07-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Scrup, remind me to never go to your place for pizza :hmm3grin2orange:

If you put brine shrimp on your pizza, remind me never to eat at YOUR place. thumbs2:

I just avoid giving goldfish anything high in protein, as it does tend to clog up the tubes if you catch my drift. Its up to you, treats now and then shouldn't hurt anything really, they get plenty of bugs in nature, its just not a significant part of their diet. I just prefer to play it safe. honestly I mix bloodworms into some of the food I make, but that stuff mostly goes to the plecos, loaches, snails, and livebearers. My mbuna and goldies get nothing but veggies and a little bit of shrimp/talipia.

That being said, those lumps, now that I see them (photobucket is blocked at work), look nothing at all like I was picturing. That looks more like a cyst or a tumor. Looks way too concentrated. If it is constipation, it looks like it may be a seriously herniated intestine (if thats even possible...fish anatomy is not my major:hmm3grin2orange: )

I would stick with the peas for a few days and see what happens. I usually gave mine about half a handful (total, not each) when they were that size. 1-2 a fish should be enough to make sure they all get some. Less would not hurt. Just make sure to deshell them.

Hope it works out for you. If it is a cyst or a tumor, there really is nothing you can do(please don't try and lance it...lol). They can usually live just fine with them.

-Edit- read the size wrong, thought you said 6" for some reason...lol

Brhino
07-14-2010, 04:26 AM
I had considered a tumor, but the pictures I've seen with them there's discoloration and some odd texture... or does this what a tumor looks like when it's just starting?

And if it's not a constipation/bloating issue, why is he staying at the top of the tank?

Scrup
07-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Position in the tank is not really indicative of any specific ailment. You could be dealing with two problems (tumor/cyst and constipation)

Just saying that those bumps, are not from brine shrimp IMO.

A tumor looks just like that when they are starting. they do not just pop up huge overnight. Same goes with cysts. I would just keep a very close eye on it and watch for any other problems.

Brhino
07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
so how long would you suggest keeping on the pea diet before going back to normal food (but not brine shrimp), assuming nothing else changes?

Scrup
07-16-2010, 05:23 AM
When I do intense conditioning (a few goldies I got off craigslist just sat on their heads all day) I will feed peas every other day until they get back to normal.

Brhino
07-16-2010, 05:32 AM
all right, sounds reasonable. The bump, the one in the back at least, is starting to turn sort of a gray color like the pictures of tumors I'm finding. This sucks... I've been trying so hard to take good care of these guys. Hopefully it won't bother him or effect his health too much.

Brhino
07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
It's entirely possible that it's just wishful thinking, but the bump/assumed tumor on his back seems smaller and less ugly today. Is there such a thing as a tumor (or other condition) that gets larger, breaks the skin, and then goes away?

Still spends the vast majority of his time at the top of the tank, doing peas every other day at the moment. Have some duckweed on order that I had intended to use as planting for the betta tank and food for the goldfish... what's your opinion on duckweed as a foodstuff, Scrup?

Pictures of how he looks right now:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0079.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0075.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0084.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0074.jpg

Scrup
07-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Duckweed is a great snack for goldies IMO.

It is possible, if it was a cyst, that it popped and is healing up. W

Brhino
07-20-2010, 03:00 AM
poop update:

Yesterday (pellet food day) he dropped a massive poop. Normal diameter and color, but he was up in the corner out of view, then all of a sudden three very long chunks of poop came raining down. Don't know if he blasted it all out at once, or if it was hanging for a while. Hey, gross.

Today (pea day) he currently has a poop slowly working its way out that's strange. the end was white and sort of a flattened teardrop shape, like a miniature cucumber seed or something. It's trailing back to his butt via a very thin line. It's bedtime now but the length of the poop has slowly grown over the last hour at least. Don't know what to make of that, especially in combination with yesterday's event.

Brhino
07-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Now, on top of the other problems, he's developing cloudy eye, and maybe pop eye (hard to tell since goldfish eyes are a bit bulged to begin with). At least that's a common disease with recommended treatments. I took out the filter carbon and started using melafix. fingers crossed.

Xavier
07-25-2010, 03:52 PM
That poor fantail :(
I hope the melafix works out and that you're not stuck getting something stronger.

Brhino
07-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Day 3 of Melafix treatment. New symptom:

Goldfish has a small white stringy line, perhaps 1/4" long, dangling from the centerline of his belly. Line does not appear to be connected to any of the bumps/wounds or any other bodily opening.

Parasite of some sort? Recommended treatment?

EDIT: after looking up some pictures, I'm sure it's not an anchor worm. It doesn't really look like a live organism, more like a dangling piece of skin or something.