PDA

View Full Version : Question about co2

promise
07-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Do i really need a CO2 system in my 75 gal tank? i have just started the tank off (sunday 11th) the plants are in the sand i didn't add any ferts just yet as i wasn't sure what reaction i would get with the chemicals to de-chlorinate the water
is the co2 system a necessary add on???

gadget228
07-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Depends on how many plants and what type they are and how many watts of light you are running. My 75 has around 20 plants and 2.5 watts per gallon and I don't use c02 myself. I do use Flourish excel and my plants are doing very well.

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I do not use CO2 and my 55 gallon is jammed with plants that are coming out of the water.

(moving this to the plant section)

taralm13
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't use co2 and I have a bunch of plants in my 20 gallon. I use the excel though and my plants grow like crazy!

promise
07-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks Lady Hobbs, wasnt sure where to put it

Ok so im not going to go with co2 but will try the excell stuff, just waiting for the water to clear and will add some stuff

SpyderSpy6
07-12-2010, 11:26 PM
You don't have to have CO2 injection... but if you are trying to keep high tech plants it is recommended. Flourish Excel is a good alternative, but I've seen the best results by using a CO2 reactor. If you are trying to carpet or keep red plants it would be best to get it... even if it's a DIY set up. DIY's are tricky though because you don't want to add too much at once.

promise
07-13-2010, 05:10 AM
Yeah im thinking the rear half of the floor and back wall is going to be a carpet of Java moss.
i thought about the DIY method of co2 reactor then i read a review in equipment by seattle girl so if i do go for a reactor i may just go buy a cyclone, but then i have also read some good posts about flourish stuff to give that a try first and see what happens.
i am the king of indecisiveness its gonna kill me one day

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Nothing wrong with trying new things to see what give you the best results. There are pros and cons to everything. Tanks over 40 gallons should really use pressured C02 if they are going to use it at all tho. They are barely effective in large tanks. Personally, I'd save my money and save up for a regulator and do it right.

rich311k
07-13-2010, 12:12 PM
You wont need CO2 for java moss and other low light plants. If you decide to do CO2 wait until you can do it right.