PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Dropsy?!?!

SMB
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
My crowntail betta's abdomen looks big and a little darkened. Acting normally. Is there anything it could be other than dropsy? If it is dropsy, can anything be done? The only abx I have are erythromycin. He is in an office aquarium so I doubt it's overfeeding as he doesn't get fed over the weekends. He's acting normally, but when I came in this morning the heater must have gone wackadoo because the water was like bathwater! He's in a 3gal filtered heated tank. I'm doing a 80-90% water change and about to give him the abx.

Hoping for some good news, but not optimistic.

tori.lock
07-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Can you tell if he's pine-coning? If he's just bloated, it might just be constipation and remedied with a blanched pea. Look at him from above and see if you can tell if his scales are sticking out, giving him a pine-cone like appearance. If he's pine-coning, then it's dropsy and most likely fatal, unfortunately.

SMB
07-13-2010, 01:12 AM
THANK YOU! In fact, he is NOT pineconing! Is that the telltale sign of dropsy, then? I held off on giving him abx until I heard from someone here who knew what's what.

I've given our other betta (the one at home) a bit of blanched pea before so I should manage to do that without messing up! :)

tori.lock
07-13-2010, 05:26 AM
I'm not an expert on fish diseases, but I do know that it's best to hold off on medicating until you know what the problem is, so as to avoid stress that could worsen the problem. I don't have any experience with dropsy, but I do know that pineconing is a sure sign of it. Keep an eye on him, though incase it is actually dropsy but hasn't developed to that stage yet. If I recall correctly, dropsy is a buildup of fluid under the skin, hence the overall swelling of the body cavity and puffing up of the scales, opposed to just a swollen belly.

Best of luck with him.