PDA

View Full Version : Randomized flow in FW tanks?

coachfraley
07-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey,

I will be setting up a new planted tank soon, and I have a vortech MP20 (http://www.marinedepot.com/powerheads_pumps_icecap_ecotech_marine_vortech_pro peller-ap.html) left over from my SW system. I was wondering if it would be useful in a FW planted tank.

In case you are not familiar with it, an MP20 is a powerhead that can be programmed to create randomized flow. I know planted tanks generally do not need a lot of flow, so I would probably turn the powerhead onto it's lowest setting.

Michael Milligan
07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
I guess it could work, but you would have to research what fish come from fast moving water. Other wise you might find all your fish hiding all the time.

More to the point, I don't see the upside to using you powerhead other than that you get to use something that I imagine cost a lot of money.

Wild Turkey
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
They dont need a lot of flow, but a gentle current throughout the tank will help with algae and keeping the tank clean. Im considering a powerhead for my own FW 40g and ive seen them used in large fw tanks often.

rich311k
07-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I agree just a gentle flow is all that is needed. I have a power head in my 75 for a little extra flow, my smaller tanks just have the filter.

coachfraley
07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I guess I will try it on it's lowest setting once the tank is set up.

If nothing else, it will cause the plants to sway around randomly, which will look nice.

coolingeffect
07-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I would definately use it, i have a powerhead in my tank and i think it plays a large role in clenliness, my geos stir up some stuff the powerhead helps keep it suspended so the filters can catch it.

coolingeffect
07-13-2010, 12:22 AM
sorry double post

Red
07-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Holy smokes, that is a $$$ powerhead. I have some 10$ ones that i use in my planted aquarium. I would maybe get a lesser one since that is a nbit of a waster IMO.

coachfraley
07-13-2010, 01:14 AM
I already have the MP20. I am using it in my SW tank, but I am getting out of SW and switching back to Fresh.

I could sell it, but I wouldn't be able to get a very good return...I think I would rather use it.

Red
07-13-2010, 02:42 AM
Why you getting out of salt? I guess, what ever floats your boat with the air pump.