PDA

View Full Version : Stocking help for a planted 40g Breeder

coachfraley
07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Hey,

I am going to start up a planted 40g breeder in a few weeks (my AC filter is already cycling at my LFS). I am working on the stocking plan and I have a few questions.

The general plan is to eventually have some marble veil angels, glowlight or neon tetras, panda cories and an algae eater(s) (either a panda gharra or some ottos).

I have never set up an angel tank before, so I was wondering what a good strategy would be for purchasing the angels (how many, how big, etc.). I would also like to hear input on my stocking plan in general. I have been out of freshwater for a while, so I could use some help easing back in.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

rich311k
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I would get six baby angels grow them out and then keep the two that dont want to kill each other. They may or may not eat the neons as adults so you may to go with a slightly bigger tetra.

coachfraley
07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks Rich!

I guess I will get the glowlight tetras.

coachfraley
07-14-2010, 05:59 AM
If I go with 6 small angels and a panda gharra, how many glowlights, and panda cories would I be able to support?

I have been doing SW for so long, that adding large amounts of fish just seems wrong, lol. If I were running a SW 40g breeder, I would probably keep 5 fish.

Garrett
07-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Well, in general the idea would be the angels that don't mate would be removed as they got bigger, so really in six months or so you'd probably only have two.

Either way, it depends in part on the size of the filter you're using...if it's an AC70 or 110, you're in pretty good shape. You can do decent size schools of the tetras and cories, in the neighborhood of 8-10. I'm not overly familiar with the gharra, but in any case don't introduce an algae eater until the tank settles in for a few months, and when you do you're going to have to also feed veggies to bulk out their diet.

You're aided in part by the fact that the two schools your getting hang out in very different strata of the tank, so you really won't be encountering too many issues with them competing for space.

coachfraley
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks Garrett! I was planning on using two AC50's.

Thanks for the suggestion on the gharra, I wouldn't have thought of delaying his introduction.

Garrett
07-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Two 50's should more than do it, you'll be fine with that stocking. Add two schools first, let them get established for a couple of weeks and then introduce the angels, same concept as salt water for adding a semi-aggressive species if I recall, right?

The reasoning on the delayed introduction is there isn't enough algae for them to really eat, and if they're a little gunshy about veggies or interacting in general, they can starve to death. I mean, you could do it if you fed them veggies every day, but it's probably just better to wait a bit.

You going with a planted tank?

coachfraley
07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Yes, that's the same process for adding semi-aggressive fish in SW, and once again, thanks for mentioning that.

I am going to run a planted tank...probably light to medium planting. I was planning on 1-2 swords, some anubias on driftwood, and some crypts.

The gharra is probably going to take me a while to find anyway, so that problem will probably work itself out on its own.