PDA

View Full Version : Pictus Cats

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 04:54 AM
I have 3 pictus catfish. They are each around 3-4". They were really cool fish until recently they killed 2 fish. At least I think it was them because it's a community tank and the other fish are quite peaceful. Two of these guys swim actively and are coming out a lot more lately. The other is overweight and stays under the driftwood. When I bought the tank these guys came with it and I just added the fish from my 27 and 20 gallon tanks and got new fish too. Anyways these guys were with bronze corys and penguin tetras before I bought the tank. They are getting aggressive and I'm wondering if I should even keep them. I don't want anymore dead fish. Any thoughts?

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Pictus cats get to be much to aggressive to keep with mouth sized fish.
They will probably continue to hunt at night until there are none left.
They should be kept with larger fish.

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 05:20 AM
So I should sell them? My pleco had a white (what looked like a gash) on his side. Not red. Not ick. It doesn't seem to bother him. Catfish maybe? If I sell these guys can I replace them with Imperial Two-spot catfish or spotted raphael catfish? I have a striped raphael catfish and he's great. They are listed in my signature in the 80 gallon. The 4th catfish is the raphael.

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 05:22 AM
If they are not what you want then sell them!lol
They can get up to a foot long in the wild.That does not usually happen in an aquarium though.

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 05:24 AM
Do you think they will kill more fish? If so, I don't want them.

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 05:51 AM
I have tetras in the same tank too but none were harmed. Just the SAE and honey gourami died. What do you think of the other catfish choices I listed above?

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Little fish are food for larger fish.If they fit in their mouths they are fair game.
Yes as it stands you will lose more small fish.I would rehome the pictus.
If you get smaller cats you will not have a problem.
Are these the fish you are referring to?If so they should be fine with your other fish.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=55

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=49

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you. Yes I am referring to these fish. One spotted raphael and 2 imperials to replace the 3 pictus. Sounds good.

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Do you think my pleco is okay from what I mentioned? I think so but I thought I'd ask to make sure.

Northernguy
07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
What type of pleco?
I do suggest a pleco that maxs out at 6" so its doesn't go after any of your small fish.A bristle nose,rubber lip,or a bulldog pleco would all be suitable and will not go after your other fish.
My bn never went after a cory or guppy fry.

Lab_Rat
07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
For killing a SAE and a gourami, I would suspect the sharks or paradise fish well before the pictus. I have 4 pictus in my 75g and they've never shown signs of aggression. It's well known they'll eat anything that will fit in their mouths, but neither the SAE or the gourami fit that bill. If you had endlers, or neons, or other small fish I'd worry, but if your tetras are deep bodied I wouldn't.

On a side note, depending on where they originate from (where collected), many pictus max at 5". The blochii may hit 10" but they're a different species than pictus.

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 11:47 PM
He's a 5" leopard pleco. He'll get big I know. I also have 2 clown plecos. I couldn't have been the sharks or paradise fish because they show no signs of aggression and are stiil young. In fact the paradise fish have had they're fins nipped in the past and I believe they will be the next targets. The paradise fish and one of the sharks are about 3". The other shark is about 2". The pictus' have large mouths too and are very active.

Pleco380
07-17-2010, 07:05 PM
My bala shark was eaten a few days ago. That's 3 fish attacked now. Each of these fish were killed like this: Eyes pecked out, then the fish goes for the heart and killed the fish. I find that a mean way to kill a fish. Very painful. Anyways, that was the last straw. I'm getting rid of these catfish.

Pleco380
07-20-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm excited. Tomorrow these turkeys are going to the store and I'm getting a spotted raphael catfish. At least, I'm hoping tomorrow.

Lab_Rat
07-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I hope that resolves your problem, but seriously, pictus don't kill like that. They eat fish whole, they do not peck out eyes. Look at the shape of their mouth, they would not be able to do that effectively.

Pleco380
07-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Everyone was fine until I got them. They were chewed up too. They have large mouths. Have you had pictus? If so how aggressive were they and how big?

Lab_Rat
07-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Yes, I currently have 4 adult pictus (about 5") in my 75g tank. Tankmates include rosy barbs and plecos, in addition to various cichlids, and I have never had any aggression problems from the pictus. Sometimes they squabble amongst themselves but they do not attack/mess with any of the other fish. I expect if I put a bunch of neons in the tank they would get eaten, but that is why there are no small, torpedo bodied fish in there with them.

Pleco380
07-21-2010, 03:04 AM
My fish are all young and many can't defend themselves.

Lab_Rat
07-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Like I said before, I hope that trading them in resolves your problems.

Pleco380
07-21-2010, 03:39 AM
Thanks. I hope so too.