PDA

View Full Version : Betta and Catfish

gloryfades
07-12-2010, 01:50 AM
So I had read that bettas can live peacefully with cory catfish, however instead i was talked into buying 2 upside down catfish.

Anyone know if this will eventually be a problem?

So far it has been ok...the betta flared up at first but calmed down quickly as the upside downs basically are hidden all the time. I have seen him do this a couple times but he doesn't give chase, he just flares up and sorta stares them down then swims away.

Do you think they will just get used to each other or am i just setting up a disaster?

toddnbecka
07-12-2010, 02:14 AM
It depend on the tank size and which species of upside down cats you have. The common upside down catfish, Synodontis nigriventris, is a schooling fish best kept in groups.

gloryfades
07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
It's a 5 gallon tank, and there are 2 of the upside down catfish.

They are only about 1 inch long, and they are speckled. I don't know how else to describe them or figure out what species they are.

edit** Synodontis Nigriventris the picture looks exactly what i have.

tori.lock
07-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I would return the catfish, and just keep the betta alone in the tank. A 5 gallon is too small for a betta and another fish, because any fish small enough to fit in a 5 gallon is a schooler. There's a chance you could get away with a school of microrasbora, if you can find them, but I wouldn't recommend it.

toddnbecka
07-13-2010, 06:06 AM
S. nigriventris grow to 4", and really need a much larger tank than 5 gallons.

Sarkazmo
07-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Yeah, those Synos have got to go to another tank or go back to the shop. A Betta would do great, alone, in a 5G.

Sark