PDA

View Full Version : finished and filled

packergene
07-11-2010, 06:56 PM
hello all,
Finished my tank set up. Gravel in with some laterite, tank filled with tap water conditioned, installed eheim pro 2224 up and running, and one little crypt to look at for now. I need to level the tank a bit. I have not tested water as I do not have a test kit at the moment, but will get one soon. (any suggestions on witch test kit?)
One question is... the surface of the water is a bit dirty, with a very thin oil like film that does not seem to get filtered through the eheim. Is there some thing I can do to clean this up? In the pics you can see a small build up in the corner where the intake pipe is. One other question... When talking about lighting and wattage for planted tanks, If I am running two 40 watt 48 inch florescent bulbs, is that still 40 watts? or is it 80 watts?
thanks for now.

Pleco380
07-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Water looks fine to me. I think the tank just has to be cycled.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I feed flake food and often get a film on my surface. I push a measuring cup into the water until the water just barely breaks over the lip. The surface water with the film will rush into the cup. I do that repeatedly (usually takes 3 or four times) to remove film from the surface. It's the same technique I use with a serving spoon to take oil out of my gravy when I do Thanksgiving dinner!

Cliff
07-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Nice looking tank

You can't go wrong with a API or Hagen test kit. I've used both and like them a lot.

For your lighting, you have to consider the spectrum of light which is the Kelvin rating of the light. If you have between 1 and 2 watts per gallon, with between 6000K to 10,000K of lighting, you will be good for a lot of plants. You will have to look up the requirements of the plants you have and want, and take it from there. There is a lot better explanations on the sticky in the plant section of this forum.

If you are planning a fishless cycle, I would wait to add more plants until after the cycle is finished. Your plants will consum some of the ammoina that you will need to cycle.

Try setting your spray bar to agitate the water more. That will help to clear up the film on top of your water

Almost fogot the link for the plant info: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/forumdisplay.php?f=65

I hope this helps

coolingeffect
07-11-2010, 09:45 PM
my best solution on the film on top of the water is to get a powerhead and aim it at the surface so that there is a pretty decent amount of surface turbulance, it will move that stuff into the water column where the filters can grab it.

sheamurai
07-12-2010, 02:19 AM
I second Cliff's suggestion - altho a powerhead is a good idea depending on what you will be doing with the tank.

I would be aiming the spray bar at the surface of the water, that will disperse the film somewhat.

gadget228
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
This is the test kit I always recommend getting, Walmart doesn't carry it in their stores but you can order it online, less than $18 and shipping is 97 cents which makes it a great deal,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/3635493

gm72
07-12-2010, 10:57 AM
This is the test kit I always recommend getting, Walmart doesn't carry it in their stores but you can order it online, less than $18 and shipping is 97 cents which makes it a great deal,

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit-Fish-Aquatic-Pets/3635493

That looks like the API kit, a very good one as previously suggested.

gadget228
07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes it is the API Master Test Kit, I forgot to mention that. (blush)

My LFS wants $35 for this same kit.

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2010, 11:12 AM
That looks like a 33 or 40 long? Looks nice and I like the hood you have for it. That top opening should come in handy.

You have 80 watts.