PDA

View Full Version : new tank setup please help?

mgoldie
07-11-2010, 06:11 PM
i recently bought my daughter a basic cold water fish tank, we brought it home set it up treated it with declorinating solution and left it for a week, we went back to the shop wednesday just gone and bought two fantailed goldfish, but within a day or two the water started going cloudy, today one of the fish has died i also noticed its eyes were bulging, i have noticed also that the surviving fish has one black eye, im sure it didnt before. also the water doesnt smell very good, i am using the filter that came wth the setup, could the problem be that it not is not adequate enough? or maybe they were being over fed......2 small pinches twice a day, any help would be very much appreciated thankyou.

Brhino
07-11-2010, 06:31 PM
first question: How big is the tank? Many people new to the hobby vastly underestimate the amount of space goldfish need, and the result is dead goldfish. I suspect this may have happened to you.

Apart from the space issue, your fish are suffering because the tank is not cycled. check out the free aquarium ebook (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html) for more information, but in a nutshell: A tank with fish in it accumulates toxic chemicals which harm the fish. Bacteria that live in the filter can break down the toxic chemicals into less harmful ones, but it takes time - often weeks or a couple months - before there is enough bacteria to remove the chemicals. Another common problem new people have is assuming that simply letting the tank run with nothing in it for some period of time will cycle it. This is incorrect.

If you can tell us what size your tank is, and you read about cycling a tank, then you can start to make some informed decisions and keep fish successfully. Until then, the second goldfish is not likely to live long unless you return it to the store.

Don't feel bad - almost everybody starts fish keeping with insufficient knowledge and winds up with dead fish at first. You've found a great place here to ask questions and gain knowledge. Don't trust what they tell you at the pet/fish store. Many employees of such stores will give you terrible advice out of ignorance or desire to get more money from you.

mgoldie
07-12-2010, 08:18 AM
hello, thankyou for your reply, the tank is 15 litres, sorry not sure how much that is in gallons, i understand what you are saying about why the fish died, could you help me out with a solution please, thankyou

Lady Hobbs
07-12-2010, 08:21 AM
15 L is less than 4 US gallons. Much, much too small for any goldfish.

Please read my links regarding goldfish sizes and the cycling links.

gm72
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
With that size tank you could do some guppies but not a whole heck of a lot else especially for a beginner fishkeeper. Please do take the advice and read the free Ebook. There is more to this hobby than you think.

mermaidwannabe
11-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Since it's a coldwater tank, maybe you can start out with some White Cloud Minnows, but not too many in that small of a tank.

Don't guppies require warmer water?

-- mermaidwannabe

Sursion
11-02-2010, 05:32 AM
the tank is 15 litres

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/139/facepalm134.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/i/facepalm134.jpg/)

You've been scammed by the store people. No coldwater fish could possibly survive in a tank that small. If I were you, I'd go buy a heater and put some shrimp or a betta in there.

Brhino
11-02-2010, 01:10 PM
this thread is three months old and the OP has not been back since then.

Sursion
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Ugh. Mermaid tricked me D:

Brhino
11-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Mermaids are crafty like that.

mermaidwannabe
11-03-2010, 04:43 PM
We are sirens -- remember Lorelei?