PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse 3 or Fluval 205 ?

born2blove
07-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Hello all
My 29galon with Eclipse3 hub set up about 1 1/2 with DIY co2.
My fish tank has some live plant and 6 lucky bamboo
My convict has baby fish.
the system working fine.
I would like to know between Eclipse3 hub and fluval 205 which one is better.
can I use all 2 of them in my fish tank?

Also My friend give me his 5 month old fluval 205 it has 3 media box.
1 media box 2 bag of carbon
2 and 3 media box he use biomax.

Is that the right way media tray setup fluval 205?

Do I need you replace 2 bag of carbon?
My friend was use it with turtle.

thank you

Pleco380
07-11-2010, 05:24 AM
I like the fluvals. I have a fluval 405 and they take time to get used to but work great. I don't even use carbon. With baby fish I would use carbon though. Instead of using 2 levels of biomax I would do one level biomax and the other ammonia remover. Ammonia remover works well for me.

born2blove
07-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Thank You
I can not use all 2 filter, fluval and eclipse3 right?
can I use all 3 media box with biomax?
what is Amonia remove for?
at the first media box if i not use carbon can I replace it with Filter wool.

Pleco380
07-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Not sure if you can use both filters. One should be fine though. My fluval 405 filters an 80 gallon on it's own and I've had no problems. I wouldn't use all three boxes for biomax if I were you. Ammonia Remover removes a lot of your ammonia (fish waste). Yes you can use filter wool on the top level. I do and my fish are happy and my water tests are almost always good.

born2blove
07-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Thank You
Now
bottom layer is BioMax
Middle layer is Amonia remove
the top layer is Filter Wool.

Is tha Right?

Just dump Amonia remove into the second tray or I have to buy the filter bag for Amonia remove?

I see carbon came with Fluval 205 it in the bag.

Sorry this is my first fish tank and first external fluval filter, I have to many question.

How long I need to clean my Fluval 205?
How long I need to replace BioMax?
How long I need to replace Ammonia Remove?

Thank You

Cliff
07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
In my opinion, once the biomax rings are established with beneficial bacteria (BB), they will be better at removing the ammonia than the ammonia removing filter media. At least thatís been my experience.

I have all of my canister filters filled with nothing but biomax rings and I would suggest the same for anyone. If you want to use filter floss, place that in the top tray.

If you choose to switch to the fluval 205, run both filters ( the 205 and your current one) at the same time for about 5 or 6 week. This will give the new filter media time to build up enough BB to support your fish.

Check you filter once per month. If the filter media looks clogged, rinse it out in used tank water. Just remove the trays one at a time and place them in a bucket of tank water and slosh them around for a while. NEVR clean it using water from your tap. The chlorine in the tap water will kill all the bacteria in your filter. Practically all the bacteria you need to support your fish is in your filter media.

I hope I've helped

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
You can use both filters on your tank, but try to keep the inflow from the fluval away from the outflow from the other filter, no need to filter water that just came out of the other filter! Also, if you want to use carbon in the fluval you should put it AFTER the ceramic media - carbon extracts chemicals and odors from the water and is usually the last stage in a filter - unless you are using polishing media in which case the polishing media is last. I would suggest using a sponge in the stage before the ceramic - the sponge removes debris. Ceramic media is designed to maximize the bacteria colonies that remove ammonia and nitrite, it is not particularly effective at removing debris, and besides, you don't want debris clogging the micro spaces in the ceramic media - that's where the bacteria want to set up shop! A sponge first then ceramic will give you better water clarity. Media like carbon, peat, polishing pads etc. are designed to do specific tasks, you can have excellent chemistry without them but if you have a specific job that you need done, like you want clearer water, or softer or harder water, or you have a bad smell in your tank, then you use media that is designed for that specific job. That's where having more than one filter on a tank is really nice - you can use one for the specific job and the other for the basic work.

Pleco380
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Good point. It does really depent on the tank environment. If you did do what I said middle should be biomax and bottom ammonia remover. Cliff has a good point too. If you have quite few fish (tank is stocked) I think you should use ammonia remover, but if not or ammonia is always low don't use it.

Taurus
07-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Cliff gave a great answer. Use all trays but the top tray in your 205 for ceramic biomedia. Fill the top tray with floss. A healthy biofilter will consume more ammonia than zeolite (ammonia remover) and you don't have to replace the biomedia.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Pleco380 - what brand ammonia remover do you use? I've been thinking of using some to help offset the bacteria loss after I rinse the sponges in my cans, but I've never used it before. Fluval has some, but I don't want to pay the premium price. Is there much difference in quality from one brand to another?

Taurus
07-11-2010, 05:26 PM
If you have enough biomedia and a healthy biofilter, you should not need ammonia remover. Even after rinsing the biomedia, enough ammonia eating bacteria will remain to keep your tank healthy. An established tank with a healthy biofilter does not need ammonia remover, IMHO.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
You are probably right. I have this obsession with filtration - always worried about my BB. It started because I stock my tanks heavy and was always afraid I was pushing the limits on my filters, but even with dual cans going I still have this fear of inadequate BB - guess I need therapy more than ammonia remover huh? :hmm3grin2orange:

born2blove
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Thank you so mch for all of you guy try to help me out.

on Eclipse3 it has 2 empty slot 1 of each corner, 1 left corner is eclipse3 pump filter up to the water than go to Bioswheel and out to he tank.
the right corner not use.

Now if I run 2 filter ( 1 came with eclipse3) and ( fluval 205) I will put both inflow water at the same location and the right corner slot I will use for fluval out flow.
Is this should be ok?
on the fluval 205 I can adjust the water flow, but on the eclipse i can not adjust any thing.

on the fluval filter I will use last 2 bottom tray All BioMax, the top tray I will use filter floss.
Is that ok?

thank you

Taurus
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
guess I need therapy more than ammonia remover huh? :hmm3grin2orange:

My rate is $100/Hour. :hmm3grin2orange:

Pleco380
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I use fluval brand. I agree with what the others say though so follow their advice. In fact, maybe I shouldn't be using ammonia remover but thats what I've always used and it works for me so I guess I'll continue.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Taurus you're adorable! :l19: Born2blove your idea is just fine - Don't be afraid to experiment, either filter alone will take care of your tank so you have lots of capacity to try different set ups and different media. Every tank is different and you will find that nature is very forgiving as long as you have the basics covered, which you do in spades! :shappy:

Taurus
07-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Oh gosh golly. :41:

Taurus you're adorable!

born2blove
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Thank You All

Now I have antoher problem

The fluval 205 My friend give to me the Ribbed Hosing has been cut too short foe my fish tank, he giv the part he cut off. I take it to homedepot and Ace Hardware to find some solution I can connect them together final they can not help me.
I go to Pestsmart I found one but some reason it so cheap only $1.99
I order 2 for replace my fluval 205 Ribbed Hosing.
I don't know this is the right ribbed hosing for my fluval 205
another place it cost 12.99 per 1 ribbed Hosing.
I don't know why this cost only 1.99
some one double check for me see is this the right one for my Fluval 205?
Thak You
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3096761

Cliff
07-12-2010, 12:21 AM
That sure dose look like the right one.

As long as you don't need more than 8 feet of hose (intake hose lenght + output hose lenght), this should do just fine.

They must have made a mistake on the price, or it's on sale.