PDA

View Full Version : Thank you forum!

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Wow, what a day. Thanks to forum advice I've been on craigslist looking for equipment and found a brand new larger tank (less than half retail price), the perfect filter (lightly used but again less than half retail), and a high intensity light that normally sells for three times what I paid for it. I even found the Fluval plus filter I've been looking for (going to stuff it full of polishing media and move it from tank to tank!) -Thank you AC Forum! So the net result of all this help is a finished 38 tall with a fluval 205 and 304 filter, 5 watts per gallon with moon light and built in fan and a tankful of happy small fish. And I have a mobile water polisher, so my tanks will sparkle! Not bad for a a couple weeks work:shappy:

Northernguy
07-11-2010, 03:20 AM
You did real good!lolthumbs2:
To find everything for a reasonable that has been well maintained and cleaned is a score!lol Usually its a weeks worth of cleaning before you have your treasure.

rich311k
07-11-2010, 04:00 AM
Congrats and good work finding good used equipment.

Excellence
07-11-2010, 11:00 AM
What is a "mobile water polisher"?

The nanocube has most of what you describe -- built in hood fans, moonlight included -- but they're so small.

gadget228
07-11-2010, 11:46 AM
A filter filled with super fine filter media that trap all dirt and other small particles. A canister filter with poly fill works well.

Fishgirl Seattle, great find on getting all that equipment. thumbs2:

Excellence
07-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks, but have no idea what that means. :ssmile:

Gadget, from your sig, where do you find the space to put all your tanks?:ssuprised:

Lady Hobbs
07-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Good find and another nice tank coming to life. Good job.

Excellence......gadget has 4 tanks listed. Some people have 40! lololol Of course they may have a basement area that would be a huge help! I live in a two room apartment and had 6 tanks.......3 of which were 55 gallon tanks. You get rid of things you really don't need if you want more tanks, use your bedroom dresser, buy double stands, whatever.

Cliff
07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Excellent finds for your new set-up, congrats

Yu know, I have a older model fluval 4 that is sitting in my basement not being used. I think I'm going to use your portable water polisher idea.

Rue
07-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm glad you managed to snag a good deal! Congrats!thumbs2:

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
thumbs2: :1luvu: This forum has the BEST advice!

Excellence - the 'mobile polisher' thing I'm going to make is a small internal filter - in this case a fluval plus 2 filter - that I am filling with fluval polishing media. It attaches to the inside of the tank with suction cups. Every week when I change the media I will move it back and forth between my two larger tanks. This way each tank will have it's water polished every other week. Since I use large cannisters on those tanks it is a real hassle to open them up every week just to change out polishing media. I only clean the filter media in those larger filters every 4 or 5 months but polishing media needs to be removed and replaced every week to 10 days. By using the small internal filter for that media it is a real time saver. I had a fluval plus one that I used for that purpose before but the filter on one of my small tanks failed last month and I had to employ the little 'polisher' fluval as a real filter for that tank - took out the fine polishing media and packed it full of filter sponges and ceramic media and now it lives permanently in the small tank. I had been searching for a replacement ever since. And in addition to the good fortune of finding it, I also found an affordable second large cannister filter, so I will be cleaning the media on the large filters more often. With two cans on the tank, cleaning the media in one will not have as big an impact on my biological filtration capacity. You always lose bacteria when you rinse media! One day I will have a second can on the other big tank too. Small steps...!

jford21
07-12-2010, 05:51 AM
Congrats! I love Graigslist, I'm on there everyday looking at stuff, great site.

Pleco380
07-12-2010, 05:53 AM
Where I am craigslist doesn't have much for fish stuff. Congrats on the good deal!

nathan
07-12-2010, 08:34 AM
good stuff! Will be a nice setup when everything's up and running

Excellence
07-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Seattle. That's a bit advanced for me.

40 tanks, Hobbs? That's seriously fishy. One tank is all the room I have. I'm tempted to get one of those wall mounted tanks later; and being one an upper floor I'm scared of getting a bigger and heavier tank in case of the floor boards.