PDA

View Full Version : Getting lillypads from a fishless pond?

DrNic
07-11-2010, 02:47 AM
I recently thought about pulling out some lillypads from my grandfathers lake to transfer into my 75G tank. I know there is a possibility of carrying parasites etc into the tank but I've done successful transplants before without a problems using a 2 month quarantine in a farm tank with no fish (just uses fish water pulled during water changes).

This afternoon however it was brought to my attention that there are also lillypads in the fishless pond behind my step-father's house. Although there is water in the pond in the summer by fall it usually dries up. Somehow the lilypads survive in the mud over the winter and seem to come back every year. Since there are no fish in the pond I thought it might be better to take the plants from this pond to reduce the risk of parasites.

What do people think? Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? Will 'wild' lillypads even grow in a tank?

toddnbecka
07-11-2010, 03:28 AM
Hardy waterlilies grow a bit too large for most aquariums, assuming you have bright enough light for them. They do need to be planted, and grow best in clay.
If you want something more suitable for a 75 with small, round leaves Amazon frogbit would be a better choice. It's a floating plant, and while the leaves aren't nearly as large as a water lily, given proper conditions they will quickly spread and cover the surface quite well. I have it in a couple tanks; it grows very well in one 75 and the excess that doesn't get sold goes into another 75 for the silver dollars to chew on.

DrNic
07-11-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm not looking to cover the surface so much as I'm looking to get the lillies to flower. I already have some dwarf lillies (Nymphaea) in the tank that I got at the retail store as bulbs. The plants have large purple/brown/green spade shaped leaves but I haven't had any luck getting them to flower yet.

Once I get my canister filter setup (assuming it ever arrives) I plan to lower the tank water 2-3 inches in order to help give the plants some room to flower.