PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my Pleco?

Michael Milligan
07-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Ok, so months back when I set up my tank the store sold me common pleco. We all know what a popular beginner mistake getting a pleco is. So then, how to fix the problem. It is already double the size it was! Eventually it will eat and/or uproot my plants and push over my rockwork. Arrgg.... They are an interesting pet, but I'm not about to buy a huge tank for this thing.

What do I do with it?

promise
07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
i have the same problem my wife bought it when it was cute little baby only about an inch long and now i have a 10inch thing that uprooted everything in the tank before i got p@*sed off with it and moved everything out into my 20 gal
i dont know what to suggest, when mine gets too big for the 30 it will go to a friend who has a 120 and will be more than happy in it, you can always try your LFS and see if they will take it

Pleco380
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Yeah. I would see if the LFS would take it. They probably would.

Michael Milligan
07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I was thinking of just bagging it and taking it to the store when
I go next.

Is it common for LFS to take livestock from customers?

promise
07-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I cant see why they would not

Scrup
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
depends on the store. some stores will take them for free, some will give you store credit, if it is a really common problem fish some stores willl refuse them (pacu, common plecos, goldfish, and convict cichlids. that is the list one of my LFS refuses to take)

FishGirl-Seattle
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
The fish stores in my area take livestock all the time, but these are not big box national stores, they are small independents. Call first. A national chain might take some fish back but maybe not a pleco. If they did, every pleco they sold to unsuspecting newbies would be brought back! There is a large segment in the aquarium hobby who concentrate on the really big side of the street - 150 gallon plus tanks, the big fish like arowanas and the big cats and plecos so if the LFS won't take it you could try to re-home in your area through craigslist, you might make some local fishkeeper very happy!

Excellence
07-11-2010, 02:15 AM
I don't have this problem. My 2 pleco catfish have grown maybe 2cm in 2yrs. They're staying the same 7cm from tip to tail. They don't eat much, just laze around like cats on the expensive amazon leaves THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO EAT!

I've seen them on shops about a forearm long. Tried to tap the glass and startle it, but he just blinked at me as if to say, right, that's going to startle me, human.

You're only option is to exchange it for other fish.