PDA

View Full Version : Plants from a dam.

Jackson226
07-10-2010, 03:02 AM
G'day,

I went looking around in one of our dams today and found some small plants. I managed to get a few with some roots on them, I gave them a good wash and stuck them in my fish tank. The goldfish seem to like eating them. Has anyone ever done this? Will these plants be beneficial? Will they even survive?

Thanks, Jackson.

souly
07-10-2010, 03:09 AM
I wouldn't suggest taking plants, or any object from the river that lives, and just sticking it in your tank. You could have brought in disease, parasites, and anything in possible trace amounts. etc.

little hawaii
07-10-2010, 03:25 AM
lots of variables. like were you live, water temp, and type of plant. I admit to trying it once too. No good results to report. The plants just seemed to melt away from shock.

DrNic
07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
I've tried this as well with plants from my father's lake. There are TONS of foxtail and vals that grow in the lake wild. I dug a bunch up and put them into a farm tank with fish water from my other tanks, but no actual fish. Some melted but a few grew. After about 3 months when I was confident that any fish related parasites would be dead, I moved the plants into my tanks with no ill effects.

I'm planning do try this again soon with lilypads from the lake my grandfather lives on.

SpyderSpy6
07-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I've also done this before and haven't had any problems. It's cool to take native plants and have them exposed in an aquarium, IMO.

You can also use a plant dip to clean them off before you put them in your tank. ParaGuard works well, but you don't want to leave it in the solution for very long. Or a mixture of a broad spectrum antibiotic can do the trick.

Like everyone else said, it all kind of depends!

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
If you used bog plants and only the roots were submersed, they may die in your tank because often wild plants need the tops out of the water. Like pond plants.

If they die, you can say your dam plants died! LOL

Northernguy
07-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I also suggest quarantining your dam plants!You may get some dam bugs!
I was looking at getting some dam plants too but there was a game warden there handing out fines to anyone getting to close to the dam.I like doing a lot of dam fishing.Its a great place to catch them dam fish because of all the food that comes through the dam wall.
Good luck with your dam plants!:22:

Lady Hobbs
07-13-2010, 04:19 PM
ROTFLMDAO!!