PDA

View Full Version : Dechlorinater

jbstc03
07-09-2010, 02:47 AM
On the bottle it says 1 drop per gallon. Is that right/sound right? Does it matter if you add extra, obviously not talking about the whole bottle as fish cant live in that type of concentration. Your thoughts.

Northernguy
07-09-2010, 02:53 AM
What brand did you buy?
It doesn't usually matter if you add more then needed but not too much.

EmmanuelJB
07-09-2010, 02:57 AM
It depends on the brand you have. I would be very surprised if the directions on the container were wrong.

A little extra is fine.

souly
07-09-2010, 03:18 AM
I don't usually add that much more than what my bottle says :/

Mith
07-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Side note..... ME personally (lol, as opposed to me impersonally....) only add enough dechlorinator for the water that I'm replacing.

Brhino
07-09-2010, 03:43 AM
up until a few days ago, I did water changes by the bucket. I treated the water in the buckets with the quantity recommended.

Now I have a water changer, so I'm pouring straight tap water into the tanks. I thought most people that did that add enough dechlorinator for the whole tank, so if I'm changing 20 gallons in a 60 gallon tank, I'd drain 20 gallons, add enough dechlorinator for 60 gallons, then add the tap water. Is that not what most people do? Mith, do you use buckets or a tap water hookup?

ohmikeosh
07-09-2010, 03:55 AM
Mine is 5 ml's per 10 gallons and I use five gallon buckets so I tend to put a little extra in.

Northernguy
07-09-2010, 04:12 AM
ohmikeosh I do it the same way. Never had a problem.
If I did water changes with a python I would add enough for at least 50% every time with the filters off!Its best to be sure its mixed before the chlorine gets to the media.
Its suppose to work immediately!

Lady Hobbs
07-09-2010, 04:25 AM
I do mine just like Brhino does adding the dechlorinator before I start filling.

Sarkazmo
07-09-2010, 05:02 AM
I use Prime now and it's 1 drop per gallon. I believe it can be used up to 5X levels but anymore and it's toxic. Prime lists how much chlorine and such it removes per unit so if you get a report from your water company you can figure out just how much you NEED to use.

Sark

jbstc03
07-11-2010, 03:42 AM
I have the API Tap water conditioner as it says 1 drop per gallon, but when you use it you get like 3 drops out of it, lol. But I was wondering, wow that seems to little considering the bottle they give you is 4 fl oz. Although it does say it treats up to 2360 gallons, so maybe not........unless I use the local pool now as an aquarium :)

SpyderSpy6
07-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Using extra is fine... the only thing you have to worry about is if your tank temperature is 86 and above. Not exactly sure why, but warmer water holds less oxygen and too much dechlorinator will deprive your fish of oxygen.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
If you are using Prime (my personal choice) you need to be aware that Prime added directly to the tank can coat the gills of fish that swim through it immediately after you add it to the tank (could be true for other dechlorinators too, but I only have info on Prime because that's what I use). This is not normally fatal, but it makes it hard for the fish to get enough oxygen until it can clear its gills. If you add the full tank dose to a pitcher of water and then pour the pitcher in before turning the python on the tank - you don't have to worry about a fish swimming directly through undiluted Prime added to the tank.