PDA

View Full Version : CO2?? What's Next??

MikeTag
07-09-2010, 02:41 AM
OK, so i bought a pressure regulator with a solenoid from foster+smith a few months ago but never got around to finding a tank and everything else.
This is what i have....

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9895&pcatid=9895

I live on long island NY, does anyone know where to find a tank, i really don't want to have to pay to have one shipped here.
What other things do i need to get so i can get my tank up and running again and get rid of my algae. I have plenty of silicon tubing, do i really need CO2 resistant tubing?
Do I need a needle valve like this one?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+15525&pcatid=15525

Any other tips I should know before investing anymore money into this project?

rich311k
07-09-2010, 02:51 AM
Yes on the needle valve. I get my tanks through work. Look for a welding or soda supply place. They should have them.

MikeTag
07-09-2010, 03:33 AM
Any pointers for this system??????
Do i need the CO2 resistant tubing???????

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Yes, you will need the CO2 resistant tubing. You can get that tubing fairly cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.

I would also recommend you invest in a bubble counter as well. They can be quite helpful in gauging just how much CO2 is being injected.

What size tank are you putting this system on?

MikeTag
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Yes, you will need the CO2 resistant tubing. You can get that tubing fairly cheap at Home Depot or Lowes.

I would also recommend you invest in a bubble counter as well. They can be quite helpful in gauging just how much CO2 is being injected.

What size tank are you putting this system on?

Its a 30 gallon. Running a Eheim 2213 Canister Filter Classic I believe.
Will the bubble counter like this work?
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+4648&pcatid=4648
Also, is it just me or is that needle valve from drfoster+smith really expensive??????????? Is it worth it?????

rich311k
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
That bubble counter will work. The needle valve is very important to minutely control the flow of CO2. You can shop around for one.

dmagerl
07-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I hate to slam a product, but that bubble counter is really really cheaply made and really really expensive. Mine broke and leaked after a couple weeks.

It looks like heck but I made my own with one of those tiny 10oz plastic coke bottles. Drilled 2 holes in the cap, inserted pieces of tubing, half filled it with water, and for a buck, I had a bubble counter.

You'll need a backflow preventer too.

MikeTag
07-10-2010, 03:13 AM
I hate to slam a product, but that bubble counter is really really cheaply made and really really expensive. Mine broke and leaked after a couple weeks.

It looks like heck but I made my own with one of those tiny 10oz plastic coke bottles. Drilled 2 holes in the cap, inserted pieces of tubing, half filled it with water, and for a buck, I had a bubble counter.

You'll need a backflow preventer too.
Good idea! You just saved me 30 bucks :) What about the needle valve? is that a good deal for one???

kennedpa
07-14-2010, 02:59 AM
or simply run the co2 direct in to your eheim.

MikeTag
07-15-2010, 05:08 PM
or simply run the co2 direct in to your eheim.
Do you mean in the intake or the outtake ? Wouldn't that be noisy and bad for the filter and plus not so good for my biological colony to be having direct contact with pure CO2?

rich311k
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
I feed the gas directly into the intake of my Eheim, I have had no issues. The CO2 is harmless, it wont effect your bacteria colonies.

MikeTag
07-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I feed the gas directly into the intake of my Eheim, I have had no issues. The CO2 is harmless, it wont effect your bacteria colonies.
Ok, i guess ill trust u on this lol, this changed a lot because i was just about to break down and buy one of those expensive premade reactors haha. thanks :22:

kennedpa
07-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Feed it in to the intake. I put an air stone on the end of it, small enough to fit in to the inlet pipe. This breaks the bubbles of co2 up as they go in and will spread about the filter (ie the ceramic noodles) and should come out almost invisible. Mine used to have a burp every now and then but has nto done so for ages. All Iget now is a fine mist of co2 entering the tank, hardly even noticable. Re the Bio....not at issue at all.