PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Fish - Questions!

190MPH
07-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Well I'm about to try my hand at shipping some juvy cichlids to someone in Fla. next week and I have a couple of questions. I have my box ready and lined with 1" foam insulation. I am also double bagging with bag buddies and intend to fast them for at least a day, if not two, prior. The fish are 1" to 1-1/2" and there will be a dozen. Are 4 fish per bag in 6x16 bags OK? I will be using USPS Express. The temps here and in Florida on Monday/Tuesday are going to be in the low 90's. What would be the right way to use cool packs ensure that the box doesn't overheat, save for delaying shipment to wait for cooler temps? Is a cool pack from a pharmacy adequate, perhaps surrounded by newspaper? Thanks for any help. I want this to be a good experience for the buyer as well as myself!

Spardas
07-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Try reading this thread.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=78035&highlight=shipping+fish

Lady Hobbs
07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I use regular freezer packs for fish and tape them to the inside of the lid so they are above the fish. Not all are equal. Some only last 24 hours and others up to 72 hours.

Sasquatch
07-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Ship them with as much air as possible. Two and a half inches of water in the bag will be fine. If you can, try an put pure oxygen, but I don't think you have that on hand.

As for the ice pack, as Lady Hobbs suggested, taped inside the cover will be good.

Fasting them for a day should be fine and four per bag should be good too.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

190MPH
07-09-2010, 02:11 AM
OK, thanks for the help everyonethumbs2: . I'll let you know how things turn out.

Lady Hobbs, can you elaborate on what you mean by freezer packs and where I could find them? Thanks.