PDA

View Full Version : various ancistrus species

Jeddi
07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
are they all pretty much the same "bristlenose pleco"? I've had a hard time finding some BNs and after doing my research, I come to find that ancistrus = bristlenose. Both of my lfs have tons of different ancistrus species, I was wondering if they all stay around the 5-6" size?

toddnbecka
07-09-2010, 06:37 AM
The common BN is a true aquarium fish, bred and raised in tanks for so many generations that their origin is unknown. Most other species of Ancistrus are more often wild-caught fish, and some species are less adaptable to different conditions than others.
There are several different color varieties of the common BN: albino, calico, red, and even green, both standard and longfin (aside from the red.) Are you certain you're looking at different species? For more specific info on wild-caught species you should ask the lfs which L-number they are. Common names are useless at best.

little hawaii
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Check out Planetcatfish. They have all the L3s and pics of most species.

Jeddi
07-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Alright. I know my one lfs has quite a few ancistrus species, but I've never taken the time to bother figuring them all out. I just want don't want to get one and find out it grows a foot long.

Jeddi
07-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I bought me a 2in albino BN today. Not sure what gender, I see a line of bristles around the edge of its mouth but none through the middle yet. We'll just have to wait and see.

He hasn't worked on the sides of my tank yet, but he definitely seems to like algae wafers! :hmm3grin2orange: