PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Skin? Fungus? What could it be?

haruyuki7
07-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Hi there, I'm new to this site and I have a situation that I have not yet seen on here.

I have 2 sailfin plecos that I have had for quite a while and are happy and thriving. Weird thing is that they seem to have had a brown algae-like film all over their bodies for a while but do not seem to be suffering from it. Now, on a different note, my 3 peppered corys have it as well. I have comets and other community tropical fish inside the tank that are not bottom feeders that don't seem to have this problem. It seems that only my slow, stationary bottom feeders have it. I must admit, the tank is over crowded, and I have black algae on my live plants currently.

So my questions are: is this normal? Is it unhealthy for them? What could it be? And how can I get rid of it? Any and all suggestions would help. Thanks!

Haruyuki7

bob saget
07-08-2010, 07:26 AM
hello, and welcome to the forums!
I have one sailfin pleco, and a part of his back/sides are covered by a whitish grey film. Then some days it would be gone. If they are not suffering/dying, I would not worry. Remember to give your plecos some zucchini or cucumber because they love vegetables, and will thank you for it :D

Crispy
07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
plecos will often 'shed' their slimecoat. Bigger the pleco, more slimecoat, more often you'll see it. Should go away in a few days.

SunSchein89
07-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Good thing I came across this thread, I probably would've freaked out when I saw my pleco do this for the first time :sconfused:

haruyuki7
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It does seem like Solar Plecs (bigger one) has more than Mr. Plectacula now that you mention it. I'll try out the cucumber and other veges for them!

Power to the plecs!

Haruyuki7