PDA

View Full Version : ghost shrimp vs feeder ghost shrimp

Jeddi
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I asked my lfs yesterday where their ghost shrimp were, and they said they were only feeders and won't do anything to help out the tank by cleaning up detritus. Is this true or are they just saying this so they can get more money off of the ones that they deem aquarium inhabitants? They also called then grass shrimp here, if that makes any difference.

troy
07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
There's not much if anything different between the two. They may be two different species but they would fill the same roll in a tank. Buy the feeder ones.

Jeddi
07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
There's not much if anything different between the two. They may be two different species but they would fill the same roll in a tank. Buy the feeder ones.
That's what I was thinking. They barely cost anything anyway so it wouldn't ake much of a difference.

SunSchein89
07-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Best to get their feeders :+1:. I put ten in my 20 gal. tank that's been established for quite some time and only about half of them are in there still. They can be rather touchy like that, though I guess I could have done a little better job acclimating them. Either way, I say get a nice handful of them so you'll have some survivors; they're pretty hard to find in a densely decorated/planted tank if you don't have enough of them running around and they do a good job cleaning without adding a lot to the bioload.

Jeddi
07-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Alright, they're 5 for a dozen which is pretty expensive for ghost shrimp, but 5 bucks isn't going to put a dent in my wallet.

Angels will probably eat them, won't they?

Michael Milligan
07-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Angels will probably eat them, won't they?

Your shrimp won't survive till morning. :hmm3grin2orange:

Jeddi
07-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Your shrimp won't survive till morning. :hmm3grin2orange:
Well I don't have any angels yet :P I'm planning on getting a juvie that's 3 inches at the max (I think they're more around 1-2 inches), so they won't be eaten until he gets bigger, and perhaps growing up with the shrimp he won't eat them... But hey, if he eats them then it's a good meal. :hmm3grin2orange:

Michael Milligan
07-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Some fish won't eat anything they can't just gulp down. Others will nip and pick at something until it gets sick and dies. I don't know where angels fall. But really, so what if they eat them. As long as it takes a while to wipe out all your shrimp then you can just restock periodically. Law of the jungle (or in this case aquarium)

SunSchein89
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Alright, they're 5 for a dozen which is pretty expensive for ghost shrimp, but 5 bucks isn't going to put a dent in my wallet...

Are you saying the feeders are $5 for a dozen??

Jeddi
07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Are you saying the feeders are $5 for a dozen??Yup. Pretty expensive I know, but I'm going to wait until my other lfs has some in stock to see if they cost less.

jaysee
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM
"ghost shrimp" is a generic name given to a bunch of different shrimp species. Since they all live together and look alike, they are just all lumped together. No one is going to sort through them, not even the LFS. They probably take the biggest shrimp out to sell them for more.

They are terrific at cleaning the tank and certainly do eat detrius.

They cost 5/$1 here.

Jeddi
07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
"ghost shrimp" is a generic name given to a bunch of different shrimp species. Since they all live together and look alike, they are just all lumped together. No one is going to sort through them, not even the LFS. They probably take the biggest shrimp out to sell them for more.

They are terrific at cleaning the tank and certainly do eat detrius.

They cost 5/$1 here.
Now you have me paranoid of buying some evil prawn. :hmm3grin2orange:

SunSchein89
07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I would definitely wait to check out another store, I'm scared to ask what the non-feeders cost. Our one LFS here has them 12/$1.20.

Piscine
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
10/$1 here.

If you go to petsmart they are like 50cents each. Thats a 500% mark-up, but people buy it anyway because "its only 50 cents". lol