PDA

View Full Version : non aquatic plants in HOB filters

Ashley
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Hey, I know some of you put non aquatic plant roots in your HOB filters, just wondering what plants are good for this, I know bamboo is great for that... but are there any vine looking plants, like pathos that are good for that? I don't want a vine like ivy, but something with a bigger oval shaped leaf. Thanks, much appreciated. Does anyone have pics that they'd be willing to share of the plants in your HOBs? Thanks!

troy
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
Pothos should work.

little hawaii
07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I've grown Prayer plants hydrophonicaly that way.

Northernguy
07-07-2010, 07:41 PM
The Aluminum plant may work.I had one in my tank for a few months.The leaves all yellowed and fell off.I removed it and put it in a vase with tank water and glass beads.It came back but was neglected and died off.lol Beautiful plant.
I have never heard of growing plants in the filter though.

rich311k
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I do see why not as long as the roots dont get into the impellor.

Michael Milligan
07-07-2010, 08:47 PM
You might also try a spider plant.

For best success in whatever you choose, propagate new material in water rather than try to was the soil off the roots of an established plant. The type of roots that will grow in water are different than the ones that a plant would shoot out into soil. Not to mention the stress on the plant might set you back a ways.

toddnbecka
07-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Pothos is probably the best bet, grows well w/out bright light and will suck up nitrates pretty effectively.

Crispy
07-08-2010, 11:05 AM
There is a type of vine that has big oval (almost heart-shaped) leaves that I grow and a cutting will take roots easily inside an HOB or even just in the tank itself. It grows like crazy! I'll try to get a pic of mine, not sure on the type, but seems alot of people keep these in hanging baskets usually.

toddnbecka
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Probably a philodendron, they're a popular vine for hanging baskets. Similar to pothos in general requirements too.