PDA

View Full Version : Bigger tank FTW!

wlepse
07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
OK...I knew I read here multiple times that a larger tank can be benefitial and help fish grow larger due to hormones or something. But I never expected this big a difference. I have about a dozen red cherry shrimp in a 5 gallon tank and they have been in there for months with plenty of plants and all seemed well but they never really seemed to grow much. Seems like the really small ones grew but only to about a half inch then stopped. Water parameters are good and stable but I decided to try putting a few in my main community tank a few weeks ago and now they are double the size! Is this normal? I would have thought they would do better in a dedicated tank since there is no competition for food. In the main tank the platys and mollys leave nothing behind. I am going to start moving a couple each week but can anyone explain the huge increase in size?

SkipW
07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Maybe they are finding a better food source or you have more algae in the bigger tank for them to eat. Or the water conditions agree with them more. Just a thought.