PDA

View Full Version : Redo of tank - the snails

Lady Hobbs
07-07-2010, 12:53 PM
In the past, this was my "jungle" tank I previously posted here. I had a pair of angels that barely had room to swim so they have been moved into another tank so my other inhabitants could have the whole tank.

Now that they have the whole tank, I see I can have more so may get some rummynose if I can find them anywhere. I'd like to add some neons but neons and adult rainbows would probably not be a good thing.

I had to get rid of some plants and prune others and I suspect in a couple months this will be almost as crowded as it was before. While getting into this project, I figured it would be a good time for the snails to take leave. I pulled out all the plants, put them in a large tote with water and alum to kill the snails. I also removed the fish into buckets, drained most of the tank and added bleach to the remaining water. Instant death. I stirred the substrate very well and each time it settled, siphoned up dead snails for the better part of two hours and each morning siphon up 5 or 6 more. I've seen no living snails now for 5 days but no doubt there were some in the canister.

My snail population went nuts went I started feeding my corys shrimp pellets and they've been out of control since then.

For some reason, once I started replanting, my substrate didn't seem deep enough anymore. Even cutting off large roots, I couldn't get them into the substrate and since I had some amazon substrate not being used, I just mixed the black and amazon together. All black looked better to me but I didn't feel like spending another $60 when I had amazon sitting here unused.

I had one casuality, however. I had a couple ottos and missed one of them before the bleach was added. I had not even seen them for 5 months and assumed they were no longer there. Poor little guy was 2 years old and went thru many tank tear-downs and a move only to be killed by ME!

I had a very slight spike yesterday, did a 75% water change and added some Seachem Stability to play it safe.

So, since the 3rd, I have redone my parrots tank adding the angels to that enviroment. Took down my 10 gallon since I couldn't find anything to put in it and moved the hairgrass into this tank. It will probably die from less light but I see no point in keeping an empty tank running just for hairgrass. Hairgrass was added after this pic was taken.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/carolo/Tanks%20and%20plants/Picture.jpg

Rue
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Sounds like a plan! But you sound a little sad at getting rid of the 10g. I suppose you could keep it for a betta, or other option.:14:

So sorry about your oto. :scry:

I also noticed that I have 2 corys left. I thought I only had one! I was so surprised. I had 2 otos too, but haven't seen mine for a while. I'm not sure if they're in there or not...

Lady Hobbs
07-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I like otto's but you don't buy them thinking you will ever see them. :) After 5-6 months you rather think they are dead and gone. I've been surprised every time they resurfaced again in the two years I've had them.

I planted that 10 gallon with hairgrass thinking I would have that tank for shrimp. Of course bought a new heater, light and the plants. Couldn't figure out what kind of plants to put in it then couldn't figure out fish that would work in that size so said to heck with it. I do not want a Betta and have no interest in them. I just don't like little tanks sitting all over the place. I went that route before, gave them all away and don't know why I started that again! Boredom, I guess.

Rhaethe
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
You know ... if you could find some asian rummynose (sawbwa respendens) they would look very nice in there. They do tend to stay middle to bottom, but are active and colorful. :sbiggrin:

Lady Hobbs
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'll be lucky if I can find the regular ones most likely. Might have to check AquaBids sales today.

little hawaii
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Hey Hobbs. Found some Rasbora - Asian rummynose (Swabwa respendens).
This is a guy in Vancouver that I buy from. Excellent service too. Owners name is charles, just not sure if he ships to USA. Canadian aquatics.com

Lady Hobbs
07-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks. It takes about 3 days for shipment within the US and in this heat I'd be worried to have them coming from outside the country right now.