PDA

View Full Version : What do you reckon on this stocking plan?

Apistogramma
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Ive have recently aquired a 30 us gal tank, it is going to be planted. Here is my stocking plan:
1 black ranchu(im almost sure he is stunted as he had a very poor start to life, living in a vase with no filter or pump and the water changed every 2 weeks straight from the tap if my friend could be bothered, so i managed to save him. He was about 3in when i got him and his growth hasnt budged he is about a year and a bit now)
6 kuhli loaches
5 ember tetra
6 glass catfish
2 cherry shrimp
I will be running a fluval external 205 and the basic juwel internal that came with the tank.
So guys, what do you think?

Will

rich311k
07-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Generally goldfish and tropicals are not a good mix. Your proposed stocking would be interesting with out the ranchu. Glass cats like a calm protected enviroment a bumbling goldy will probably stress them quite a bit. The goldfish will eat the embers if he can catch them, a goldfish will eat anything.

I would suggest a 29 gallon for your gold friend to live out his days in peace.

Apistogramma
07-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes I would agree. He is 3in at present and is living with guppies and some zebra danios. Would he eat the shrimp, and also, I'm not doubting you, but why would he decide to try and eat the embers when he leaves the danios alone? He is the one fish that I really want to keep as he is such a nice fish to look at, what sort of changes would need to be made to suit him?

rich311k
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
He may not but a good rule with goldfish is if it fits in his mouth he will eat it. Stick with the danios and guppyy, cherry barbs would be a good choice they are pretty and active. They also do well in cooler water.

Apistogramma
07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I didn't actually realise how small the embers are, how about if I was to swap the embers for endlers?

Meenu
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Endlers are pretty small too, smaller than regular guppies. Danios are a lot faster, so that may explain why they aren't getting eaten.