PDA

View Full Version : Help IDing a fish

~Col~
07-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Hi Everyone

I'm brand new to this forum and was wondering if someone would give me a hand identifying one of my fish. I bought it from my local produce store and the name tag they had on it was scientific and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

I've done a search online but haven't been able to narrow it down.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/colmay71/IMG_0286.jpg

And this is a pic of my new 4 foot tank (upgrade from my 3 footer). Still needs some work... ;)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/colmay71/IMG_0276.jpg

I'm thinking of buying a couple of more fish for in there and would love some suggestions on what would be compatible. Currently there are 3 x angels, 1 x tetra, 1 x tiger barb, 2 x albino catfish and the above "unknown". :) The angels have thrived since I first got them, I did have more tetras & tiger barbs, but over the last 12 months I'm down to one of each.

Thank you in advance!

Col.

Lab_Rat
07-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Looks like an albino krib, african riverine cichlid.

SpyderSpy6
07-07-2010, 03:14 AM
The reason you are down to only a couple tetra's is because the angel fish will nip those fish to death. I had a friend that just went through the same issue trying to keep small tetra's with angel fish.

If the pictured fish is truely an african cichlid, you need to see how big it will get. Reason being is that it will eat the small fish once it is big enough (if it gets big enough). If the fish stays to about 1-2 inches then you should be good to go with most tropical community fish that are semi-aggressive or more cichlids.

Red
07-07-2010, 03:16 AM
It is from africa, but I have kept kribs in community tanks for a long time. (it is a albino krib)

Brhino
07-07-2010, 03:17 AM
kribs are so colorful, it almost seems like a shame that somebody's breeding albino versions.

~Col~
07-07-2010, 03:57 AM
Thanks everyone!

I've done a bit more research and found that the males can grow up to 4 inches, the female 3 inches. Mine is approx 2 inches at the moment and I've only had it for a couple of months.

It is from africa, but I have kept kribs in community tanks for a long time. (it is a albino krib)

Red, what type of fish were in your community? Do they prefer to have "friends" of the same species or will they get too aggressive?

Is there a list somewhere of semi-aggressive tropical community fish? I've been told that Angels and Tiger Barbs are classed as agressive, does that sound right?

To be honest I don't trust what my local aquariums tell me about the fish so any info/suggestions would be great!

Thanks again for all your help!

Scrup
07-07-2010, 04:08 AM
I would say angels and tiger barbs are in the same list as kribs as being semi aggressive. Angels are cichlids, just like the kribs, so when they mate they will be very territorial, other than that, they can be a little agressive, no where near as bad as some of the other cichlids however. All three of them will nip at long flowy fins. And any fish will eat a smaller fish, however the angels and kribs will tend to hunt down anything bite sized.

Sasquatch
07-07-2010, 11:46 AM
I'll confirm that the "unknown" is a male albino kribensis, probably Pelviachromis pulcher. A single male won't be too bad in your tank, but if he pairs off with a female they'll lay claim to a portion of the tank and defend it vigorously.

With your setup, I'd get a decent school of one of the larger tetras (white, ornate, black, serpae, diamond). They'll be fast enough and big enough that the angels won't bother them too much.

If you want to stick with tiger barbs, get yourself a decent sized school (7-10 total) to keep the agression down. Most barbs are nippy when kept alone or in small groups, but they'll setup a pecking order in larger groups and leave other fish mostly alone.

~Col~
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that Scrup & Sasquatch!!

The tetra I currently have is a white. I haven't seen them in any of my local shops recently so I may have to go for a drive to a bigger one if I decide to get more.

One of my Angels has spawned a few times in recent weeks, however, I'm fairly confident that the three I have are all female and therefore the eggs aren't being fertilized. Two of the Angels are friendly with each other but are aggressive to the third. However the aggression hasn't become a problem.

You've all given me a lot to think about, so I'll put my purchases on hold until I work out what's best for my tank.

Thanks again for all your help!