PDA

View Full Version : Using the changed water to water outdoor plants?

yamaracer5
07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I was thinking i could really save alot of water by using the water from a water change to water all my outdoor plants and trees.Should be no issues with this right?

fins_n_fur
07-06-2010, 08:19 PM
No issues, as long as you aren't medicating for anything. Your plants will love it!

Lady Hobbs
07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I use it for houseplants but wouldn't be dragging it outside by the bucketful for trees and plants.

Sharkman
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
It's a great idea to conserve water and the tank water is actually great for the outdoor plants. Congrats to you for re-using!

little hawaii
07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Good stuff for sure. I keep a 50g, container out by my garden and syphon into that and water everything with it. My neighbours are impressed with the growth. Must be full of nitrogen or somrthing. My garden is pretty dinky though at 12x5 feet.

Brhino
07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
The one thing to caution you about (which was pointed out to me by my wife) is that while nitrates are good for plants (both aquatic and terrestrial), TOO MUCH nitrates can be harmful as well. Specifically, too many nitrates cause plants to not flower and generate fruit.

I have no idea how much too much is, but if you're dumping gallon upon gallon of heavy nitrate water on a small area, it could conceivably be a problem.

If it's on stuff that you don't care about flowers or fruits on, it shouldn't be a concern.

yamaracer5
07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Well it will be a handfull of roses,a couple shrubs and trees. I have a large aquarium pump that i could use to pump the water from the tank to a 55 gallon barrel outside and then use from there.

Rue
07-06-2010, 09:43 PM
I've been using tank water for my house-plants for a good 3 or more years now...

No problems...

rich311k
07-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Tank water is a great fertilizer. Plants will love it.

kennedpa
07-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Yup agree.....and the more crud you vacuum out from the gravel the more the plants love it

korith
07-07-2010, 07:49 AM
At my last place, water was included in the rent. So I was doing several water changes weekly. Instead of draining the tanks into a drain, I ran a hose out 2nd floor window into the shrubs. During the winter that shrub looked very odd compared to the rest of the shrubs in the apt complex. Was very very very green and growing well. I did the water changes late at night to avoid the manager seeing me dump a 150g+ out the window :hmm3grin2orange: