PDA

View Full Version : Water Chestnut plant

Mistago
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I just got a water chestnut plant for my aquarium. I have one light above the aquarium with turtle UV lighting. I just wanted to know if this is sufficient for the plant. Also, if anyone has kept this plant in their aquarium before, please let me know your experiences with it and is there anything negative about having it!

Thanks!
Picture: http://www.warnerspond.org/pictures/Water_Chestnut_Plant.gif

korith
07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Never seen that plant before. Very invasive species apparently. For plants you really want to have lights with around 6500k spectrum. Not sure if the turtle light would work. I would probably shoot for at least 2 watts per gallon. What size is the tank and how many watts is the aquarium light fixture?

Lady Hobbs
07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
That's listed as a bog plant so the top part needs to be emmersed or will rot. It may rot anyway unless only the roots are in the water. Doesn't hurt to try it tho.

Just checked and it's a floater so may be OK.

Mistago
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
It's a ten gallon with guppies. I just wanted to floating plants as well as moss so the fry have a better chance at surviving. In case this plant doesn't do well, are there any floating plants that will do well in an aquarium setting with lower lighting?

I think my lighting is 14W.

troy
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Duckweed but it won't provide much cover for fry.

korith
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
frogbit or dwarf water lettuce are nice floaters. Easy to keep their numbers in control, unlike duckweed which will never be able to get rid of. Maybe some hornwort, it floats somewhat and grows fairly quick, should provide a fair bit of cover.