PDA

View Full Version : 75 gallon species only

HorrorShowRot
07-05-2010, 11:14 PM
allrighty I amthinkibg of converting my 75 gallon into a piranha tank the tank is heavily filtered with 2 fluval 405s I was thinking what size school could I get in there because they are a schooling fish in the wild water changes will be twice a week 50% hope to get them as juvis

HorrorShowRot
07-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Also I have some rubber arm length gloves from feeding my old wolffish ever since he took a chunk out of my arm would this work for piranhas as well?

MCHRKiller
07-06-2010, 01:55 AM
75gallons arnt really sufficient for a proper shoal of piranha. Most of your serrasalmus that can be housed together are still iffy and hard to find. Most common are the pygros which will grow to 9-12" each...and would need to be in a group of atleast 6. I kept a shoal of 6 red bellies in my 100G years ago and it is a touch wider and taller than a 75...they were cramped. You would have a year or two with them depending on feeding and individual fish growth rate in that 75G but dont look at it as a permanant home. If you want a piranha that can live there for many years look into a Rhom. It would be a decade or more before a Rhom outgrew your 75 if purchased at 5-6" :22: