PDA

View Full Version : Can a pleco have too much algae?

domingo3
07-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I figure this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the right terms in search. I had a handful of otos in my 50G, but they disappeared when we went on a 10 day vacation. I had someone dropping in food, but I guess not enough.

Anyway, I haven't found any healthy looking otos lately and decided to get a pleco. In the meantime, the algae has built up significantly on the rocks and some on the glass. It is not overwhelming like I've seen pictures of some people's tanks. My question is just what's in the title. Will the pleco overeat with an abundance of algae available, or should it be OK? I supposed I could scrub the bigger rocks if it would be a problem, but I feel like that's wasting food.

Thanks for any insight.

little hawaii
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Not at all. Think river with acres of algae. He is probably in heaven if it is an algae eating Pleco? Some are carniverous and will not touch the stuff.

domingo3
07-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Cool, then she's got her work cut our for her.

little hawaii
07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Is it a common brown Bristlenose or what?

domingo3
07-06-2010, 03:17 AM
It's supposed to be a rubber lip, so hopefully it doesn't get too big.

Northernguy
07-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Rubberlip plecos love algae and do not get very big.Maybe 7".
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/rubberlipped.php

VoidParadigm
07-06-2010, 04:37 PM
In the wild many, if not most, herbivore and herbivore-leaning omnivore fish are constantly grazing for more food. Only problem with more algae-eating in a home aquarium is that you'll have to make sure you have enough filtration to keep up with the enhanced bioload.

Bristley
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Rubberlip stay fairly small as mentioned by NG, so that should be a good one for your tank. I also agree that lots of algae is a good thing for them. I have a BN in a 37g. When I first put him in I had a fairly significant buildup of algae. Not a ton, but it was a good amount. He cleaned that tank spotless in like 2-3 days. Now I have to make sure that I'm supplementing his veggie intake frequently with cucumbers and other veggies or he will nibble on my live plants cause there's no more algae for him.

domingo3
07-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Hmm, it's been like three weeks, and the tank is still not spotless. She is kinda small, so maybe she'll grow into the job? Is it OK that I'm not giving her any extra food?

Cliff
07-25-2010, 01:42 PM
I would be careful doing that. Plecos still need to eat other foods, other than algea. Maybe, just trying to feed your pleco other foods every second day.

Lady Hobbs
07-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Your ottos are probably still there. I just found 2 I had not seen in 6 months.

Do you have wood for your pleco? They eat off the wood as well and it's essential for them.