PDA

View Full Version : plant fertilizer help!!!

ctruz1110
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
i have petite nana, hemianthus callitrichoides, riccia fluitans on a rock, tropical hornwort, java moss on driftwood and christmas moss on rock. what type of fertilizer can i use?? Lfs suggested liquid fertilizers. but better ask members here...and do my plants need calcium and iron???

sergo
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
yes they need those in trace amounts. you'll probably get mixed opinions on what to use and the water you are using play a part in it. are you using tap or r/o water?

Lady Hobbs
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
I use fert tabs myself.

hungryhound
06-05-2007, 02:01 PM
You can use liquid fertilizers, but they tend to get expensive. You can also buy dry ferts that you mix yourself (cost more up front, but last ten to 20 times longer,)

Keep in mind that there are two categories of elements that you need to add to your aquarium.

Macro nutrients: Potassium, phosphate and nitrate (can be supplied by fish, nitrate cycle) which are needed in large quantities

Trace elements: All the other elements that your plants need in small quantities, iron, bromide etc…

What fertilizers you use is really going to depend upon the size of your tank, your lighting, and if you are infusing co2 or not.

Liquid ferts work well for smaller tanks but lighten your wallet to much for larger tanks.

In terms of tank size

Low light tanks require very little nutrients to be added as the plants do not grow as fast (ie use nutrients as fast) especially without co2 added. If regular water changes are kept up (30 to 50% every Week) the nutrients your plants need should be mostly replenished with each water change (provided you use tap and not distilled water, never use distilled water).

High light tanks require lots of nutrients to sustain the plant growth and keep the algae issues under control.

Here are a few links to read.

here is rex griggs site.

http://www.rexgrigg.com/ferts.htm
You can buy ferts from him or Greg Watson's site site
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/store/aquaticplantfood.php

here is a planted tank article on ferts.

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Fertilizers-in-a-Planted-Tank/1/

Lady Hobbs
06-05-2007, 02:16 PM
:l24: Once again, an outstanding post by our friend hungryhound!

hungryhound
06-05-2007, 02:25 PM
:l24: Once again, an outstanding post by our friend hungryhound!

Why thank you. It only took about 3 months of Chrona pounding this into my brain, but I think that I am beginning to get the hang of this whole planted tank thing.

Of course Chrona is going to come along and point out all may mistakes shortly, but alas how else would we learn.

Lady Hobbs
06-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Of course Chrona is going to come along and point out all may mistakes shortly, but alas how else would we learn. LOLOLOL

Doing things different does not make you all wrong, either. Just means you have your own thinking cap on. But god knows he has taught me a bunch, as well.

(Thank you chrona!)

Chrona
06-05-2007, 10:58 PM
lol

Nope, you guys pretty much covered it all. You have done well grasshopppers. ;)

To the original poster, iron is almost always beneficial, sometimes required. Calcium is almost never required unless you have extremely soft water (or are using straight RO water) in which case you would add a little GH booster

ctruz1110
06-07-2007, 08:52 AM
i'm using 14watt light for my 12gal tank with tap water and co2. but i've read that we need 2.5watt per gallon. means i have to get a 30watt?? Fert tabs sound so easy and convenient. can i just use that just like ladyhobbs?? or nutrafin plant feeding stick (even easier) or AZOO plant nutrients??

Chrona
06-07-2007, 12:45 PM
i'm using 14watt light for my 12gal tank with tap water and co2. but i've read that we need 2.5watt per gallon. means i have to get a 30watt?? Fert tabs sound so easy and convenient. can i just use that just like ladyhobbs?? or nutrafin plant feeding stick (even easier) or AZOO plant nutrients??

Your mosses, nana, and probably the hornwort will do fine under 14 watts, but the HC requires very high lighting. Riccia will probably grow in lighting conditions somewhere in between. The watt per gallon rule breaks down for smaller tanks, but I'd say you need at least 30(minimum)-40(for it to grow well) watts of compact fluorescent (not the inefficient spiral kind, but the long tubes or u shaped bulbs) The HC also requires a nutrient rich substrate. What kind of substrate are you using?

hungryhound
06-07-2007, 12:58 PM
i'm using 14watt light for my 12gal tank with tap water and co2. but i've read that we need 2.5watt per gallon. means i have to get a 30watt??

Everything that i have read about HC is that it needs a lot of light. I would suspect you would need 30 watts minimum for it to grow, but I am not sure.

Fert tabs sound so easy and convenient. can i just use that just like ladyhobbs?? or nutrafin plant feeding stick (even easier) or AZOO plant nutrients??

Fert tabs work great for root feeding plants but a fair majority of your plants are water column feeders: Riccia, Java moss, christmas moss, hornwort. all of these will receive little to no benefit from root tabs. Of course this is not a big deal as most of these are going to be slow growing anyway.

The problem with recommending you ferts is that you have a weird assortment of plants. All of your plants are low light plants except for the HC.

Without the HC you could probably get away with just adding a little Flourish to replenish the trace elements each week, and keep your current light without any problems.

The biggest problem that you are going to run into is that most of your plants are slow growing with exception of HC and hornwort. It is going to be very easy for your to over fertilize and create a smorgasbord of nutrients for algae.

I would suggest that you definitely add some trace nutrients as these will only help. You can try the fert tabs under the HC and Anubis and Hornwort, but you may need to add macro ingredients as well.

If you decide to do macro.
I would suggest picking up.

KH2PO4
KNO3
K2SO4

from rex or greg as you can get them all shipped for around 20 bucks and it will last you a year or two on that size tank.

Good luck