PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf hair grass

Australian natives
07-05-2010, 05:40 AM
yesterday i purchased a dwarf hair grass plant from pet store, i took the pot off, removed most of the wool and planted the bulk together, then a few small clumps which broke off the main bunch separate (each about an inch apart).
my question is, should i trim the brown bits off each little stem? and if so should i do it right away or give the plant some time to settle?

blesser13
07-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I will probably wait till my plant get stronger and also get use of my water . Also be sure you got enough lighting otherwise the grass become brown and dont look to good. Provide the plant with moderate lighting of 2 watts per gallon or more

Lady Hobbs
07-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I planted mine 5 weeks ago and it hasn't done a thing yet. It's in an empty tank so nothing will disturb it. Don't think it would work trying to plant it with any bottom dwellers. It has lots of light and getting ferts but sure is slow to do something.

SunSchein89
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I've got some in my 10 gal with 20 watts of light and it's barely grown in a few months. I think it needs some pretty high lighting to grow at any decent pace.

Australian natives
07-06-2010, 12:10 AM
oh ok, yeah i had heard it grows slowly =P. but i didn't want a huge carpet of it anyways, im happy with just a little clump.
although i am thinking it may have been grown emerged, as it looks to have seeds on the end of some of the "strands" (i suppose i can call them that).
i have read that those will probably die off and new stuff will grow back.
i guess i will just have to wait and see. ill give it time to settle before i start hacking away though for sure.
thnx for he replies =].
peace

Tark77
07-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Two things I would recommend doing is cutting your 'clump' into many smaller pieces and spread them around. Secondly, I would trim the hairgrass down to about 2cm. The more you trim dwarf hairgrass, the faster it spreads.

When I first got hair grass I planted the whole clump, with a tonne of the wool left on it, and it didn't grow very fast. I changed my strategy, and now its running crazy in my tank.

Australian natives
07-06-2010, 05:38 AM
hmm i might try spreading it out a little and trimming then, only 4 bucks if i stuff it up =P. also if it is going a bit to wild is it easy to remove excess? and can it be transplanted into a different tank if i upgrade? (after i spread it that is.

Rtifs
07-08-2010, 02:12 AM
If it was grown emmersed, it will take some time to adjust to aquatic life. It may even melt similarly to a crypt. Give it some time and be patient for the first 4-6 weeks. Eventually it’ll start sending out runners.

Australian natives
07-08-2010, 02:24 PM
awesome =]. yeah haven't seen any growth yet =P. although it doesn't seem to be dying either lol. so i am assuming that is a good sign at least =P.