PDA

View Full Version : How much ammonia to add to my tank?

wildbills 72 gallon
07-04-2010, 05:12 PM
How much ammonia do I need to add for my 72 gal to start cycling guys? thanks

ohmikeosh
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
3-5 ppm ammonia is what is recommended, but it depends on your stocking plans. I cycle my tanks at 2ppm, but I will also stock lightly and add slowly. If your looking to fully stock the tank right away then or stock with fish that produce a big bioload then go 5ish, but if your stocking lightly go 3 or so. When I tried mine at 5 ppm the ammonia didnt move for over a month, when I tried it at 2ppm my cycle started in less than a week. I am pretty new to this but that is what worked for me. Too much ammonia can stall a cycle.

Cliff
07-04-2010, 05:47 PM
If you are useing liquid ammoina then start by adding a small amount around 5 to 10 ml (about the same amount of liquid you need in a test kit tube). Then wait an hour and test your ammoina levels. Repeat (if required) until your levels are around 3 to 4 ppm.

That process has worked for me.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
07-04-2010, 05:53 PM
I generally use a medicine dropper and add 1 drop for every 2 gallons of tank volume. I started by doing that every other day until I started to see the drop in ammonia and then I would do that every day.

ybmarmot
07-05-2010, 02:42 AM
I added 5ml of ammonia (12% solution) to a 55g tank to do a fishless cycle and it tested a little above 5ppm. So be careful. Next time I'll start with 3ml of ammonia.

Lady Hobbs
07-05-2010, 01:49 PM
The trick is to back off on the ammonia once you began to see nitrites. There's only so much room in the filter media to grow bacteria so don't go nuts with the ammonia. You only add enough to support the fish you are going to stock. Nearly everyone stocking a tank doesn't go out and buy 100 fish at once and throw them in the tank. We add a few then later on a few more. But the fishless cycling works great for stocking mbuna where several are stocked all at once.

wildbills 72 gallon
07-07-2010, 12:53 AM
3-5 ppm ammonia is what is recommended, but it depends on your stocking plans. I cycle my tanks at 2ppm, but I will also stock lightly and add slowly. If your looking to fully stock the tank right away then or stock with fish that produce a big bioload then go 5ish, but if your stocking lightly go 3 or so. When I tried mine at 5 ppm the ammonia didnt move for over a month, when I tried it at 2ppm my cycle started in less than a week. I am pretty new to this but that is what worked for me. Too much ammonia can stall a cycle.
what is ppm. I know im a noob. hahah

Cliff
07-07-2010, 12:56 AM
what is ppm. I know im a noob. hahah

ppm = parts per million

Its the measure scale on your test kit.

wildbills 72 gallon
07-07-2010, 12:59 AM
ppm = parts per million

Its the measure scale on your test kit.
thanks! thumbs2: