PDA

View Full Version : Starting the hobby again ?

Uihawk98
07-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone. I am trying to decide if I want to start up a 40 gal. tank again. Probably a FW tank. Tried it last year and I had problems with cycling and it took forever and just got to be too expensive and time consuming. So why am I thinking about doing it again ? I am not really sure. Thought about selling my 40 and 29 gallon tanks also. Maybe it would just be something to do with my time. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Lady Hobbs
07-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Many people seem to have a hard time with fishless cycling thru I'm not sure why. I personally found it could be no easier but others have not been as lucky. I would read the benefits of cycling with fish and without in the links and see what works for you. You can easily cycle with fish now that there are decent bacteria boosters on the market. Get yourself a test kit, start with a few fish and see how it goes IF you do not want to go thru the fishless cycling.

Northernguy
07-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Do you have the 29 cycled and running?
You didn't mention that part!lol If it is starting the 40 wouldn't be so bad with borrowed media.Cycling boosters are a good way to start as mentioned.You also get to see fish right away!lol
It beats staring at an empty tank.
Test kit and a lot of water changes are a must but only for a while!
Don't forget to read the ebook!thumbs2:

little hawaii
07-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Nothing in this life has given me more constant joy and fulfillment as fish have over the years. Well my kids of coarse but they like fish too. It realy does become like rideing a bike after you get the basics down. My advice is set it up and take your time cycleing in. When I do a fishless cycle I drop a few dried banana leaves in the tank and start watching for life signs sooner.

Aydreean
07-06-2010, 06:20 AM
I was about to give up on my 45 gallon. The fish kept dying, the plants kept dying, and I wasn't getting even a fraction of how I wanted it to look. I got all new gravel and re-stocked and something just clicked with it. I love it now, and it completely reinvigorated my love for this.