PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank too deep for my betta?

SMB
07-04-2010, 01:50 AM
I'm confused about some conflicting information I've been getting about my betta. I went to a local independent fish store on an errand a few weeks ago, and then just now called PetSmart for advice on fin rot treatment, and both of them told me that bettas actually prefer to be in shallow stagnant water. I've got one of our bettas in a filtered 16gal heated tank, and the PetSmart person said that the current was probably too strong for him and that's what tore his fin, and that he's also probably stressed out because he has to keep swimming up so far to the surface to get air.

Am I actually harming my betta by having him in a 16gal filtered tank? I thought it was going to be so much better for him. :help:

Northernguy
07-04-2010, 02:01 AM
The larger tank is fine.Some floating plants for him to rest in wouldn't hurt.Bettas do like a lot of plants to hide in.They get less stressed from it.
Are there any other fish in the tank?
I would not think that the current ripped a fin unless you have some huge filtration in there.
I also do not think that tank is too deep.Some people think that these fish do not like to swim.lol
Here is some info on them.There are a few links at the bottom of the page as well.http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/bettafish/

Don't believe everything you hear in a fish store.Do your own research.Books are a still a good way to find things out too!lol

SMB
07-04-2010, 02:14 AM
Gosh, northernguy, seriously, you are always SO helpful!! :) I really appreciate it! thumbs2: thumbs2: thumbs2: thumbs2: THANK YOU!

No, the filter current is really not all that strong at all. Not nearly as strong as the filter current in my 3 gallon office tank where my other betta lives. (Well, except I've already broken that filter motor because I forgot to turn it off during my first water change and it was running dry just long enough to break. Argh. Live and learn. But point is, that one was far stronger before I broke it!)

Nope, no other fish in the tank yet. We hope to add some mollies or platys, an apple snail, and a school of harlequin rasboras eventually.... but are waiting because a) the tank's not cycled yet (we're having to do a fish-in cycle because we took these bettas in as a favor of sorts); and b) we're still so new at this we mess something up or break something seems like every week.

YES, I will get some floating plants (did not know those existed!) because he really likes laying on the fake plants I've got on the bottom. Thank you!! I will also a better heater... the one the tank came with can't get it higher than 72F. Huh? How is THAT helpful?!? Our HOUSE is that warm! LOL.

And I'll get something for the fish rot, I think. It's not severe yet -- in fact it may just be a wound -- but I know that it's important to treat. I tried aquarium salt as recommended on another site, before I saw the sticky here about how it's not necessary. Another oops.

smaug
07-04-2010, 03:08 AM
I have a beta that is doing great in a 22" deep planted tank.He goes all over in there.

Northernguy
07-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Do you have a test kit?
Keep the ammonia close to zero.Keep the nitrites near 0 as well.They are both fish killers.Nitrates when you get them should be kept below 20ppm.It will take longer to cycle but its will be easier on the fish.
No need to add anything to the tank for the fins.Water changes should fix that.You should be doing a few a week right now anyway.Just add dechlorinator.

Scrup
07-04-2010, 03:42 AM
I've had 9 bettas in a 30" deep 225G tank. A 16G will not stress them out. The bigger the better.

sheamurai
07-04-2010, 02:01 PM
The fs told you that becuase the betta natural habitat is rice paddies and shallow ponds. They are also found in slow moving streams. So a high flow environment and deeper water do require adaptation from a betta - especially since they usually have been in a cup for awhile. Some people maintain that deep tanks are too pressurized for bettas, because of their shallow water background - hence the recommendation of providing them resting/hiding places nearer the surface. but they do adapt very well to these conditions.

I got one of those floating turtle log decorations to put in my aquarium and it's surprising how many fish like to hang out in them.

Time-Out
07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Apparently, the ideal depth for a Betta is 12", however, they do quite well in all depths. As long as there are sufficient plants for him to rest on, it's up to him how deep he goes, no?

Scrup
07-05-2010, 07:04 PM
As long as there are sufficient plants for him to rest on, it's up to him how deep he goes, no?

I have some that never stray from the top, and a couple that like to hang out at the bottom. Hornwort and anacharis work really well at giving them something to rest on.

Where did you get the 12" from? Just curious.

Pele
07-06-2010, 04:18 AM
I've had 9 bettas in a 30" deep 225G tank. A 16G will not stress them out. The bigger the better.
That sounds awesome. Could you post a video of that? I really wanna see how that works

Time-Out
07-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Where did you get the 12" from? Just curious.

I can't remember, sorry. I have a whole collection of books at home and am an avid internet researcher. I'll see if I can find my source.

Scrup
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
That sounds awesome. Could you post a video of that? I really wanna see how that works

DTfO9QAdgKY

Video from my 225G journal.

Northernguy
07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
thumbs2: Well done! That tank looks great.I love the idea of more then one betta working out in a undivided tank.

Bristley
07-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Very nice Scrup. I think that tank proves that if you have adequate space so that each fish can have its own territory you can keep them all together with no problems.

Pele
07-06-2010, 04:55 PM
That is the grteatest thing that I have ever seen.
If I had any points, I'd gift you, and If i knew where you lived I'd hug you

FishGirl-Seattle
07-08-2010, 05:10 AM
I have also kept Betta's in deeper tanks. I currently have one in tank that has a water depth of 18 inches - he is doing fine. In my experience, they have more problem with current rather than depth, and I have used spray bars and other means to reduce current and the bettas seems to do much better for the effort. I've never seen one that didn't like floating plants :hmm3grin2orange: and if the floating plants stay stationary in the tank then the current is fine in that spot and your betta will like that spot best!

AdrienDeLaChicago
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
That is pretty amazing to see two bettas in the same tank. I once tried it with two in a 55 gallon tank and when I came home one of them had no more fins left.:scry:

OrionXI
07-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Are all the bettas in that video female? I can't tell.. o__o;

I've seen a local pet store that has 5 or 6 females together in a big tank with aquatic plants for sale, but never any males..

Scrup
07-16-2010, 04:33 PM
There were 2 males in the tank as well, not sure if they were in the video or not.