PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying this bulb plant

FishGirl-Seattle
07-03-2010, 10:12 PM
This plant is about 24 inches tall (and may be taller when fully grown) and is growing from a round corn (bulb?). Does anyone know what it is? I thought it was a crypt of some kind but couldn't find anything quite like it on the web. Thought maybe it is a bad example of something which is why I can't find any pictures of it anywhere. The leaves are similar to my swords, but they are long and slender and a bit more wrinkled than a sword, plus they grow from long stems and this is definitely not a rhizome plant. Thanks for your help!

little hawaii
07-03-2010, 10:26 PM
:fish2: If it's a bulb, it could wellbe an apotogeton crispus of some type. Nice plant.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Ok, I just read some write ups on apotogeton crispus, lucky for me it's an easy plant to maintain. The pics I found on it look a lot better than my plant so I'm guessing mine was indeed a little worse for wear. This is good news, I should be able to bring this puppy back to lush in no time. Thanks for your help! :ssmile: I was really hoping I hadn't picked something that needed special care!

little hawaii
07-03-2010, 11:36 PM
What are you water perams? Mine are extremely soft;like it accualy does not register any carbonates at all. My ph is 7 out of the tap and lowers itself in my tanks to about 6 and my Apotos do real well. I also have a 1" layer of peatmoss and Laterite under my gravel. I cover it with crinalin so the fish don't dig through. It is a realy tough plant and mine have reached over 40" at times. Very easy if your water is descent. Ours is almost too good; I add Chichlid chemistry to raise my hardness a little.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-04-2010, 01:20 AM
My water is very soft and slightly acidic, tank params are pH range between 6.8 and 6.4, Kh is 2, nitrates are running 30-40, ammonia/nitrites zero, temp is a steady 76 except for two hours a day when it's sunny then it climbs to 78. The substrate is a thin layer of sand covered by a flourite/eco-complete mix, with small pea-sized quartz pebbles strewn through it. I add Flourish and Excel several times a week (ferts and CO2 substitute). Most plants do ok with our local water, we're lucky in these parts that the water is pretty benign. I would love to get some 40 inch leaves on this plant - it would look fantastic trailing the water surface.

little hawaii
07-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Our water perams seem almost the same, and I'd bet you get some good growth too. This one plant realy took over one 65 gallon and shaded all the other plants out. If it gets a hold it is like a weed; pretty weed that is. I never fert. and I do not run Co2. I would like to one day. How much light are you running; you need to increase that with Co2 too don't you?:11:

FishGirl-Seattle
07-04-2010, 05:29 AM
I use standard hood lights and LEDs now and I don't run compressed CO2 anymore. I had to sell my 100 gallon high tech tank and now all my tanks are smaller and low light. I still use ferts, but at a much lower dose, and the liquid CO2 I also use at half strength. if I were to up my light wattage I would have to fully dose the ferts and would need to go back to injected C02. The trick in a high tech tank is to keep the the light, ferts and CO2 in the proper balance to maintain maximum plant growth. If you get off balance you will end up with major algae growth. And you also have to do constant plant maintenance. I was pulling a bucket of clippings out every 7 to 10 days just to maintain the tank. And I was constantly having to calibrate my CO2 system. On the plus side the plants make excellent filters when they are growing this rapidly. On the down side, you are walking a razor edge and a misstep is a major algae bloom. I was testing weekly for potassium levels and other minerals, and was using a UV filter to help control algae...it was really a time commitment. I enjoy my tanks a lot more now and really appreciate the leeway I have with the low light approach. I haven't had an algae problem for over 2 years and haven't spent nearly as much money, and my tanks still look good. To me anyway! And the fish haven't complained at all :hmm3grin2orange: