PDA

View Full Version : Some tips to keep your tank cool on those hot days.

jb300m01
07-03-2010, 03:29 PM
It's about to be in the 90's here for the next week or so, and there is not (and can't be) an A/C in the room, but there is a ceiling fan. It's on the outer wall, next to a big refrigerator (which throws off a lot of heat too) in a room that has the door to the outside open all day. This is the ONLY place for the tank. Not a good scenario.

The tank was already running at 80-85 the last week, so I needed to take some steps to keep it cool.

Here's some things that I've done to lower the temperature:

Lowered the water level about 2 inches to give more heat exchange with the air.
Turned off the powerhead during the day (that thing gave off a TON of heat).
Purchased two of these (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Roofing-Gutters-Gutter-Parts-Accessories/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xiyZardx/R-100009044/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1) from the Home Depot for $1.50 each and used them to replace the plastic strip that was between the glass tops and the back of the tank. They are plastic & have a mesh covering so the fish don't jump, and they provide great airflow and they attached to the glass tops just like the piece they replaced.
Raised the 48 inch light an inch off of the glass.
Added a clip-on fan (like this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Optimus-7-Convertible-Personal-Clip-On-Table-Fan/11250084) one) and directed airflow under the raised light to help remove the heat generated from the bulb and airflow over the vents I installed in the back, to help pull the hot air from inside the tank.
Added another air stone.
Another clip-on fan blowing on the canister filter.

When I started this morning, the tank was 80 degrees. 2 hours later after doing the above, it's at 78. Outside temp is around 80. Pics to follow.

I hope this helps!

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I ran into a similar situation in a very hot apartment I lived in. The only way to keep the tanks cooler is to keep the heat OUT. Close up the blinds, keep the doors closed and turn on all the floor fans you have. Use tanks lights sparingly and not at all unless you have plants. It will feel better for you and your fish. Aim a fan on the tank to direct heat away from it.

sheamurai
07-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I've also read of people floating a frozen bottle of water in the tank too.

Rue
07-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Yup...the frozen water bottle is really helpful during the worst of the hot weather...