PDA

View Full Version : Fish Food Feeder

Labyrinth
06-05-2007, 03:59 AM
Okay, I have two very tiny goldfish, and I'm going on vacation for about 10 days. I don't have anyone to come and feed them or anything and I was wondering what I should do. I bought this little 10-day Fish Food Feeder that is made by TOPFIN. Does anyone know anything about these things? Do they actually work? I don't want my fish to starve to death while I'm gone! It doesn't look edible and I cant imagine how it works, and it only says fish-food. Can goldfish eat it? Do fish eat the same things? It says it contains krill and spirulina, is that what goldfish eat?

Also, one is still recovering from fin-rot, which I posted about in the diseases section place thingy, but he's fine now except that his tail-fin is only just begun to grow back, but he's still as lively and eats as much as my healthy goldfish. I mention this because I was wondering if it will be more dangerous for him to be put on a questionable food source in my absence.
Also it says it feeds up to 5-10 medium sized fish for up to 10 days. I only have 2 very small fish needing food for 10 days. Is this going to cloud my water and make conditions bad for my fishies?

Sooo... I am wanting opinions on the fish food feeder thingy.

I'm still new to all this fish stuff, this is confusing!

Drumachine09
06-05-2007, 04:02 AM
Ive never used them, but it has a substanse that disloves. About every 24 hours, a new layer disolves releasing a bit of spiriluina flake.

your fish can go up to one month without food too.

cocoa_pleco
06-05-2007, 04:12 AM
i used to use automatic feeders. Not worth it. I even bought a extremely high tech 200$ one and i dont use it anymore. It just has a timer that releases food 2X/day.

Fish can go over a month with no food, so 10 days is good for him to clear his system. What sucked about my fancy one was it was held by stickies and of course i come back after 2 weeks to see a floating feeder. It fried, and TG the batteries didnt rust and spew battery acid

kimmers318
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
My past experience with 2 small goldfish and a 10 day feeder was that they ate the whole thing up in less than 2 days! Thankfully someone was watching my place for me and checked the tank even though I told him he wouldn't need to feed the fish.
Those things also can create a lot of waste as they dissolve rapidly muddying up your tank. Let your fish go without while you are gone, they will be fine.

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2007, 08:27 PM
You won't need tp use the feeder. They can go 3 weeks without food, and there is always a possibilty that the feeder will malfunction.

xoolooxunny
06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
there are certain items in the fish product world that are unnecessary/just a marketing ploy. auto fish feeders and fish feeder cubes, I believe, are just 2 of them.