PDA

View Full Version : Sparkling Gouramis

Excellence
07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm looking for info on keeping sparkling gouramis. Can people share their experiences? What sort of tankmates are they known to get along with? Can they be bought in singles or pairs? Eating habits?

I've looked the specs up but I'm looking for feedback from people who have them on their behaviour. Are they shy (from small size) to the point of starvation?

Little Embers
07-04-2010, 02:39 AM
They will be OK in singles or pairs..make sure you to get male/female if you want a pair, 2 males may fight (they are territorial), but usually they won't actually hurt each other.

They can be kept with other fish (I think some members here do have them with tankmates..can't remember which members though, hopefully they will add their experience).

If you only get one or two, I wouldn't keep them with very active or fast eating fish. Sparklings can be very shy and take a while to get to the food (especially when first introduced), they also can be picky eaters, plus they have very small mouths and can't eat a lot at once, so it is possible for them to starve to death. For this reason, I kept my SG's in a species specific tank, I had 9 in a 15 gallon tank for a long time, a mixture of male/females and the only time they croaked at each other, was around the dinner table LOL.

I used to feed mine, frozen baby brine shrimp, crushed up flakes, sinking pellets/shrimp pellets, tiny bits of frozen bloodworms, spirulini flakes...they love tiny snails.

Once they felt at home in the tank, they were not shy at all and loved exploring. Make sure you have a lot of hiding places for them and some driftwood, they love nooks and crannies. Hope this helps some!

Just adorable little fish! :1luvu:

Excellence
07-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks, that helps a lot. I have some challenges to solve before I can get one. First I have to exchange the pakistani loach; I'll have too many for the tank size. And I have an aggressive dwarf gourami who harrasses the angels all day long. I can't exchange him because he lost an eye and who would take him? Then I have to persuade the shop to acquire some. But hey, if the Doctor can handle Daleks how hard can this be? :hmm3grin2orange:

Still, those Sparklings look really pretty. I must get one. And for such small size and docility, they'd community well with my tiny Otos, playful corys and lovable Angels!

...is it true they gang up on fish with showy tails, like guppies? Will they get hostile with my angels?

Rhaethe
07-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Possibly.

Now that someone has told you of the docile and gentle sparkling gourami ... I shall tell you of the flipside ;)

Meet Sid. I purchased Sid as part of a trio of sparklings that I purchased from the same store, same tank. They went into my 5g. Plenty of cover and places to go. Sid, however, systematically harassed and killed his "mates" like some crazy Highlander There can be Only One thing. He then "paired up" with the juvenile dwarf gourami I had in there, named Gus.

The two of them teamed up on any living creature I placed in that tank. They left each other perfectly alone and chummed it up like an odd couple.

Eventually, I set up a 10g and placed them in there. Since then, Gus has grown up and become one Mellow Dude. Sid, however, is still very territorial.

Creatures that Sid has hunted down with purpose and attacked: Green neons, Ember Tetras, Gold Ram, dario dario, cardinal tetras, snails, guppies. For some strange reason, he leaves the two embers I have left, alone. And he doesn't go near the red cherry shrimp. He has never cared about cories of any size. The only rhyme or reason I can place over his reasonings for attacking are another creature has encroached upon "his" territory ... and/or the creature has showy fins.

And he doesn't immediately attack or go berserk, like other fish. Oh no. He waits, and lurks. He's sneaky. And super fast.

I have seen sparklings team up ... coordinated attacks. Kinda fascinating. Kinda scary.

I will say and say again ... that fish are individuals. I could very well have the psycho of sparklings. I have read enough accounts, however, to know that sparkling gourami are not 100% docile things. They are small. But they are also gourami, and have all of those attendant behaviours, and the only concession they make to their size is being occasionally cautious. Some have success with pairs, some have disaster. Some have success with groups. They do *not* school, but are a little more social / cooperative than other gourami. They still have and maintain a pecking order, however.

Also to note: There are three different species all sold as "sparkling gourami". They do interbreed, so there are also quite a few hybrid strains out there ... also sold as "sparkling gourami", and sometimes sold as a specific species.

As far as eating, when they are purchased, they are often fry or juveniles. Less than an inch. They are micropredators, and will often eat bugs and such you can't see. This is why people think of them as "shy eaters" since they don't see them glomming to the top with the other fish. Once they achieve adult size of 1 3/4 inch - 2 inches, though, they are like any other gourami and beg for food, or at least noticeably eat.

Excellence
07-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Interesting... and somewhat unnerving. If they go after flashy tail fish then I can't risk my docile angels alone with one. I thought of getting one because of that cute noise they make, but you're saying they're like hunter submarines, all stealth until target lock. I may not get one after all... I need to think on this.

Rhaethe
07-04-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm not saying they all are vicious critters ... by no means. But on the same measure, they all aren't little sheep, either.

Mine is aggressive. And only if he thinks he's getting crowded or sees fins. Sid has always been a good marker for me if I put one too many fish in the tank. Perfectly fine until he feels squeezed. Though keep in mind that me introducing fish are just that ... introducing fish into "his" space. If you are introducing sparklings into an angelfish's space, it might be different.

And not all sparkling gourami behave in that manner. Some just swirl around in java moss all day.

Along the same lines, I've never met a docile angelfish. Ever. :hmm3grin2orange: And my once vicious little dwarf gourami is as placid as can be now. Fish behaviours change, and while they can be generalized, you can't always guarantee them.

As an aside, sparklings don't all make the clicky noise. There's really only one species that does ... again one of those sold under the broad banner of "sparkling gourami". Throw in the hybrids, and ... well, it's hit or miss if you get one that will. And hit or miss if they'll do it often if at all.

Excellence
07-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting. I know angels are aggressive, but my 2 zebras are docile and calm. Recently added to my community, they know it's feeding time when I lift the tank lid. They're already at the surface ready for their frozen bloodworms.

The lone one-eyed dwarf gourami is chasing them so much I've now relocated the bully to a small glass bowl. I have no choice. After a few days I'll return him. If his behaviour doesn't improve his new home is the bowl.

I contacted my two local shops today and they can't get sparklings in, so I guess that's that.