PDA

View Full Version : Perfect set up for watering plants.

Mantikore
07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I have an empty 55G tank that I would like to utilize for watering plants. So I need a set up where I can't add any chemicals or salts.

What would be the minimum requirements for this? What fish should I use? Filters? Water?

I will probably take out a gallon at a time to water my plants. Any advice would be appreciated.

DrNic
07-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Assuming you're not using the water for any fruit/veggie plants you can use tank water on just about any potted plant. I do it a lot. The only chemicals you don't want to add in are anti-algae meds which will kill your plants as well.

If you do plan to use tank water to feed your plant you might consider doing it every other watering. I found some of my plants would get burned out with constant tank water.

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2010, 12:48 AM
I siphon tank water into my water pail when doing water changes. Get my plants all watered then hook up the python water changer for the rest of the tank.

HeatherB
07-03-2010, 05:33 AM
Whenever I need to water my plants, I take a scoop of tank water and water them. I also have a peice of Pothos stuck in one on of my filters!

gadget228
07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
While I don't use my water for plants it is drained outside to my yard and the grass grows faster and thicker in that spot.