PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish questions

Arrynyo2008
07-02-2010, 07:49 PM
i have a brackish style aquarium with some mollies, a few platies, and a ghost shrimp that died today (:whiteflying: )....i used to have some fiddler crabs but sold them and now im thinking about getting a few cray fish. what i want to know is whether or not they will get along with the fish that i have and if there are any conditions for the aquarium i should know about...or basically if i can introduce them in my tank with the fish at all. any info would help greatly!

Michael Milligan
07-02-2010, 08:00 PM
If big enough, I would guess that a crayfish would snap your mollies in half at the first opportunity. Sorry.

Just set-up a little crayfish tank. ;)

Arrynyo2008
07-02-2010, 08:15 PM
thanks, im glad i asked before doing something regrettable...i guess ill just buy some more ghost shrimp

UncleWillie
07-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Aside from the compatibility part, crayfish are restricted to freshwater. They will not tolerate any moderate levels of salt.

jaysee
07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Aside from the compatibility part, crayfish are restricted to freshwater. They will not tolerate any moderate levels of salt.

Yup. Stick to the fiddler crabs.

Northernguy
07-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Salt water is a great way to kill off most freshwater inverts.
Most crayfish prefer cold freshwater set ups.
They also eat fish and are quite good at catching them.lol

Fiddler crabs also need to be able to get out of the water and have some sand or mud to bury themselves.

johndoe222
01-08-2011, 12:38 AM

I know this is a dead thread but that's not necesarrily true. I once had a crayfish drawl up my sink witch I caught and unwittingly through into a tank half full of bleach. He lived a goo long life in that bleached water. 4-5 years maybe? I think if they can live in half bleach half water they can live in salt.

KatzeSlaugen
01-08-2011, 04:28 AM
i doubt that the tank was halfwater and half bleach. if you put anything in a 50% bleach solution it will get burned and probably die. sodium hypochlorite isnt something to be scoffed at and ide be willing to bet that even a 2% concentration would be fatal to any invert.

im not calling you a liar im just saying that science says that crayfish is dead in less than an hour

jaysee
01-08-2011, 04:59 AM
i doubt that the tank was halfwater and half bleach. if you put anything in a 50% bleach solution it will get burned and probably die. sodium hypochlorite isnt something to be scoffed at and ide be willing to bet that even a 2% concentration would be fatal to any invert.

im not calling you a liar im just saying that science says that crayfish is dead in less than an hour

yup .

UncleWillie
01-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah... I'm with yall^ I am having a hard time believing this.
Crayfish can tolerate low salt levels for short periods of time, but not for weeks. Two cray species come to mind, and have been known to enter mildly brackish waters, but usually get out of there within 24-36 hours.
JohnDoe, what species of crayfish did you have? Most crays live 2-3 years max, although some can get to be 8. Just out of curiosity..

KingFisher
01-08-2011, 06:35 PM
i have a brackish style aquarium with some mollies, a few platies, and a ghost shrimp that died today (:whiteflying: )....i used to have some fiddler crabs but sold them and now im thinking about getting a few cray fish. what i want to know is whether or not they will get along with the fish that i have and if there are any conditions for the aquarium i should know about...or basically if i can introduce them in my tank with the fish at all. any info would help greatly!

FYI there is no reason to keep the fish listed in brackish water. You could always go completely fresh and add the crayfish and not have to worry about it.

skullduggery1
01-08-2011, 06:43 PM
go freshwater and then try a dwarf mexican orange crayfish,less predatory than other species.

jaysee
01-09-2011, 08:10 AM
go freshwater and then try a dwarf mexican orange crayfish,less predatory than other species.

Or the regular mexican dwarf crayfish for a fraction of the cost :) They aren't exactly community safe, in that many community fish could eat the crayfish. They are perfect for a small fish community - they don't mess with the fish, plants or substrate.