PDA

View Full Version : Need to increase m hardness ???

The Curious
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I have kent marine liquid calcium and pro buffer dK, and I just got a F8 puffer that is in a brackish 10 gallon tank. I need to increase my harness for him, but I am not quite sure about how hardness works. If I could get any info or suggestions that would be awesome.

Thanks AC

kaybee
07-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Carbonate Hardness (kH) or General Hardness (gH)?

Which of the above parameters are you attempting to increase and what is the current level?

It's most probable you're asking about kH or alkalinity, which one of the products you've cited, Kent Marine Pro Buffer dKH, should address. You may have to add that product daily until your target kH is attained (consult product directions).

DrNic
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I had the same questions as kaybee, are you looking to raise your KH or GH?

KH can be raised by adding baking soda or crushed coral. I've also found that adding more air stones to the tank can raise the KH by removing CO2 from the water. There is a great chart on this page that I've found helpful, http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/planted-tank/co2-basics.aspx . Just be careful, changing your KH will likely also change the pH of the tank.

I've never had to mess with my GH so I don't have much info there apart from commercial additives. I've also heard that adding natural stones can increase the GH as well.

toddnbecka
07-03-2010, 06:19 AM
If you want to raise GH just buy some epsom salt, it's great for that purpose.