PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish food advice

Xavier
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello, since this is my first post I'll give an explanation as to my experience level.

My parents had several tanks when I was growing up, but were terrible at it. I can't tell you how many fish they killed by not cycling the tank, letting infections and fungus spread, insufficient filtration, etc. Of course I didn't understand this at all as a kid. I read up on how to keep fish as an adult, every now and again, whenever I walked by a petstore, but the prices were out of my budget.

6 weeks ago my partner arrives home with 6 goldfish that her elementary school students bought for her. She says "we'll have to buy a goldfish bowl tomorrow" and I replied "No, we're going to need a lot more than a goldfish bowl... this is going to cost us hundreds..."

I suggested finding someone to give the fish to, or dropping them in the miniature lake near our place that has goldfish thriving in it, but she desperately wanted to keep them. Next day we went to the best petstore (reviews for good staff) I could find and bought a 32 gallon waterhome, with an eheim 2213, complete with gravel and chemicals etc. One fish died before I could get it set up.

I threw the fish in and hoped for the best, telling my partner that since the tanked was not cycled and these were most likely feeder fish, that they wouldn't survive. A couple of days later we lost another fish. The 4 that remained survived the cycling, which took 3-4 weeks and were doing well.

Last week I moved and managed to keep the aquarium cycled and decided to swap out my feeder goldfish for fancy goldfish. I went to the petstore and they were more than happy to take the fish (it's a tropical fish store and their showroom has a pond with goldfish). I bought 3 baby lionheads (although the store tag says they are ranchus, but that will be another post) and some live plants.

Now that the introductions are done, on to my question.

I've been reading about the best foods for goldfish, specifically egg-shaped goldfish, and the consensus seems to be pellets. Most stores in my area sell nutrafin and almost nothing else.
Are "nutrafin max" pellets any good? What brand of pellets would you recommend?

Here is the label info:
Crude Protein Min 47%
Crude Fat Min. 8%
Crude fibre max 4%
Moisture max 8%
ash max 8%
Phos min 0.85%
phos max 0.95%
Vitamin A 7000IU/lb
Vitamin C 350mg/lb
Vitamin E 75 IU/lb

Thanks in advance :)

aquariums+me=happy
07-01-2010, 04:34 PM
This isn't about your question but your not allowed to steal my name. I'm also a Xavier. lol

Xavier
07-01-2010, 04:51 PM
LOL! I was shocked when I chose the username and it let me. Usually I need to find an alternative. Xavier is my middle name.

Bristley
07-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the AC, glad to have you aboard. That's actually the food I get for my daughters goldfish. It has been doing great on it since we got her last november. They may be foods that are better out there that someone else could recommend, but like I said I haven't had any issue with it myself. Now just a couple comments on the info you originally posted.

I don't know the laws in Canada, and laws in the US can vary from state to state, but you should never, and in most cases it's illegal, release a fish into the wild. If it's a privately owned pond that's another matter. In many cases it is even illegal to release a wild caught fish back into the wild if it has been brought out of the wild and living in an aquarium. So you should check with your local laws before ever thinking about doing something like this because not only could it be bad for you (possible fines or worse), depending on where the fish was released it could be horrible for the local ecosystem.

Ok, second thing. A 32gal, while decent size is IMO a little small for 3 fancy goldfish. You can, and probably will, hear differing opinions on the size of tank required for a fancy, but from what I know bigger is definitely better. I tend to follow the guideline that you should have a 20g for one goldfish and 10 to 15g more for each additional, and that's for fancies. Your tank size, IMO is close, and depending on filtration may work just fine, but you may consider getting about a 40g or larger as they grow, just to make sure they have adequate space.

Just so you know I'm not trying to bash on you at all. I'm just offering up some constructive criticism which could possibly save you some headaches in the future.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how things go.

Xavier
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
I hear you Bristley. I know my tank is cutting it close. If there is one topic that seems to have no consensus it is tank size. 5g to 20g per goldfish is a HUGE gap (financially :P). The staff at the store were very clear about the size of my tank being close to the max.

I have 2-3 years before they are fully grown, so I will have time to upgrade if I need to. In the meantime, my filter is double the size I need, pumping out at 440L/hour. If I can keep the water quality up, great aeration, live plants, good food etc., I might be able to get away with 3 fancy goldfish... that's my hope...

As for the goldfish in the artificial lake, yes, it is most likely illegal. I tried to find out if it was legal, but had a hard time finding the info. In the end, I decided to keep them until I could find a legal way of passing them on. Most petstores in my area would have used them as feeders. The store I gave them to put them in QT, and will sell them or keep them in their showroom :)

As for the food, thanks! :) I hope to hear more info from people, but I'm glad to hear I'm not feeding them rubbish... I find most labels misleading =/

aquariums+me=happy
07-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, Xavier is obvously the best name in the world. lol

Brhino
07-01-2010, 07:25 PM
that's the food my fancy goldfish get, they seem to like it and be doing well.

You should consider other foods, as well... my fish occasionally get live brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. They're not very expensive, the varied diet is good for the fish, and it's fun watching them go nuts over live/frozen food. There's a ton of other stuff you can feed them as well.

Xavier
07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Good to hear Brhino!

Frozen blood worms is something that I have read a lot about. Once a week as a treat seems to be what most people suggest.

Also, some places suggest fasting goldfish for a day every week or two... thoughts?

Brhino
07-01-2010, 08:06 PM
most people recommend you skip feeding one day a week for pretty much all fish, with the possible exception of fry.

Bristley
07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
+1 to what Brhino said. I have my fish on a feeding schedule where I alternate the type of food they get throughout the week, and then on Saturday it is WC and fasting day. They are doing very well and are active and colorful so I think it's working out great. Also, my daughters Goldfish does get a special treat of frozen blood worms every once in a while.

Xavier
07-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Perfect, glad to hear that I haven't been neglecting my fish :)

My treat will be on Fridays or Saturdays, since my partner is working out of town for the summer and she'll want to see them get fed. WC and fast will be Sunday.