PDA

View Full Version : Fresh food for Bettas, exercise for you

roulfi004
06-04-2007, 07:56 PM
The other day, i was trying to kill a Mosquito, when it landed on a little plant hanging out just half an inch over the water of my female Betta tank.

At first i didn't see it, but then the fish sneaked below the Mosquito, and jumped out from the water trying to catch the insect. Unfortunately it failed.

I got the idea... Instead of using insecticides and other harmful chemicals, why don't I catch the Mosquitoes with my fish net, and put them (alive) in the water (they cant fly immediately when fully wet)

So i did, and the fish was quickly attracted by the water movement and ate the poor little insect

From that day, i keep my handy net around, take a few minutes to catch Mosquitoes with it with some acrobatic and Bruce Lee / Kung Fu Style (Good for my health), and feed it to the Betta fish, who are really happy.

I noticed though, that the younger fish, less used to pellet and other prepared food are more aggressive towards the insects. But that's probably not a general rule

So try it, if you havent already
You can, if u're young enough, get a friend and play "catch more Mosquitoes" game

YaYgoldFish
06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Bruce Lee / Kung Fu Style Style eh?

cocoa_pleco
06-04-2007, 10:05 PM
good idea! just make sure the mosquitoes dont already come with pesticide

roulfi004
06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Since a mosquito's lifecyle -especially around pesticides- is fairly small, just make sure you don't have any in your house.

I thought it was fun to exercise, since sitting all day at a chair at work is too frustrating... I'm sure the lovely ladies here would prefer a ballet style...

Incredulous_Ed
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
That's agood idea! i'll try that. I wish I could harvest mosquito larvae, but I think that's illeagal in my area.

Lucitity
06-17-2007, 04:05 AM
That's what I feed mine. I go to the pond and such with a jar and net looking for them. Sometimes I even go into people backyards at night looking in bird baths and such. All my fish love them.

Nick_Pavlovski
06-17-2007, 08:41 AM
All three of my Bettas (male and 2 females) liked mosquito larvae, but the %&*#ing Zebra Danios they were in with often ate the lion's share!!!